Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,731 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about it, guys.
Sure wish I could use one of these flywheels, in fact I wish I had bought one. What's the big deal if I run an illegal flywheel? It would be fun to just try one once, if nothing else.
Were there another batch made, I would want mine to be undrilled as far as the holes for the pressure plate are concerned. Please don't ask why, it is a secret.

· Registered
2,731 Posts
It is humorously tiny. Weighs very little! With the stock flywheel whittled on just a bit, not radical like what can be seen on this site, the assembly weighs 26 pounds now. I believe we started at about 37 pounds, with uncut flywheel and Opel clutch and pressure plate. We didn't cut much off the flywheel, honest!
Think how light an aluminum flywheel would be with a 'vette clutch... Horribly illegal, but we don't care, at 26 pounds we're illegal now anyway. Who cares? It's just for fun!
What I use my car for really does not need a big heavy duty clutch. All we do is get going, get into third, and run wide open lap after lap. Very little starting and stopping, on a good night.
My car was faster than ever this year. Actually shot out of the turns. I attribute some of this to the flywheel/clutch assembly being lighter. How much lighter can it get? Let's find out. Just for fun!

· Registered
2,731 Posts
The inside diameter of the Chevette clutch's friction disc is 5". Friction material is only 1" wide. Scary, huh?
Not gonna work with the aluminum flywheel.
Bob, exactly what "updated" clutch is shown in your post? Looks very different from mine. NAPA book showed two sizes, I got the early one.
Okay, so if we went with the Unorthodox flywheel and S10 clutch, what sort of "assembly weight" (flywheel, disc, and pressure plate all together) would we arrive at? It's funny this hasn't ever been mentioned in all this talk, when it is really the most important spec!

· Registered
2,731 Posts
No. The friction insert won't match up to the vette disc.
I'm kinda pondering getting one and using the S10 clutch, I need to know the weight of the assembly (flywheel, disc, pressure plate all together) to help me make up my mind. It has to come out less than 26 pounds to be worth it. Although its outermost mass will be lighter than my present setup. It could be better even at 26 pounds. IDK. This weight is critical when trying to determine if and why all this is necessary in a high performance application.
And I'm watching this, I know you need just a few more to get the order up. Somebody please help me decide by the time we need just one more! Surely someone has a pressure plate and clutch disc (S10) they could run by the post office and weigh real quick.
Good thing you're patient, JMB. It is required when doing a group buy around here!!
I guess I could just go ahead and buy one, if the weight comes out wrong it (and the clutch kit) would sell easily, right?

· Registered
2,731 Posts
Thanks Boo! Let's hope the bathroom scales are accurate to within a pound, is that possible? So we can estimate the entire setup (flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate to be about 25 pounds, and by far the majority of that weight is within about a ten inch diameter, right?
Stock setup is at about 37 pounds by the bathroom scale method.
Obviously some advantage in terms of dead weight, rotating weight, and most of all, clutch size/durability.
I didn't measure my components individually, my 26 pound setup was all three components.
So I'm convinced the Unorthodox/S10 setup is the way to go. And it is so horribly illegal for me to use, in terms of weight, material, and clutch application. I love it. Sure wish I knew just how the Pintos were doing it. Probably what we see at Esslinger... damn cheaters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.