Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Changing RPMs

One of the areas not discussed yet is that of the RPM changes during gear shifts. On hard acceleration at the top of each gear ( say 6,500 rpm) when the clutch is disengaged and the gearbox shifted to the next gear then the crankshaft/flywheel must decrease its rev rate for the clutch to lock up at the lower revs needed. (usually a drop of 1,500 to 2,000 RPM between gears).

The lighter flywheel speeds up this process and thus earlier clutch lock up occcurs and the power transfer necessary for continued acceleration can be fully initiated sooner than with a heavier flywheel. Also there is less "energy dump" as the clutch locks up so that the tyres retain their grip also aiding acceleration.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Now!

Todd when should I send the money?
Now! - or Bob will end up with both your flywheels !! :eek:

(Sorry, Hiro - just my warpped sense of humour! :D )

Glad to see you are getting a couple of these flywheels - it will make your racing much safer!

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
By the way, if anyone knows of a good flat rate for domestic shipping for something like this, I'm all ears. Todd K.
Hello Ears! Todd, try this company: Parcel2go.com - Online Parcel Delivery Service
They ship both US Domestically and Internationally. Baz put me on to them and they shipped a couple of parts from the UK to NZ for me at a better rate than the Post Office, FedEx or UPS. Their service is door to door and quick!

HTH

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Day Trip ....

too bad they don't work from France,
I have to find a way to ship a CIH4 crank to the US east coast...
Hiro, Find out where their nearest UK depot is and take the crank on a Day Trip to the UK - or else send it to Baz/MM in the UK for one of them to forward it on to the East Coast by Parcel2Go! Might work ......

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
"Chippie's Tolerence"

Well within Carpenter's tolerences ... plus or minus an eight of an inch!

This has been noticed previously and since it is only an overhang of 0.0625" right around the edge there is no big worry.

You could:
1) Forget about it and just a small groove will wear around the outside edge of the insert as the friction material on the clutch disc wears.
2) Linish a small chamfer around the clutch disc friction material - careful, as the dusty material should not be inhailed ... even if it is asbestos-free.
3) Search for a 9" diameter clutch disc

HTH

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
If this has been noticed before, why has it not been addressed by Un_orthodox?
I remember this from the Isuzu Impulse site - the 1050 steel inserts are only produced in 1/2" increments - so you can get a 9" or 9 1/2" OD but nothing in between ... just not made in 9 1/8" size.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Ask!

I am sure that Unorthadox can drill an Opel blank for the multi-disc clutch and use the appropriate steel insert - probably have suitable ones for "Ricers" with all the necessary CNC code to do the job .... ask them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.