Opel GT Forum banner
181 - 200 of 203 Posts

· Opeler
1,001 Posts
Order Update

Gordy:

There are others that can answer that question better than I can as I am building an engine now and haven't used the S-10 clutch yet. But there is a lot of info available on this site. The clutch surface is larger and can handle much more torque. Also, depending on the manufacturer of the clutch pressure plate you may need to grind the inside of the bellhousing in one spot. Again, a lot of info about this by doing searches.

For those who involved in the recent group buy:

The order has been placed. They will begin manufacturing immediately and the rings gears are readily available. Therefore, I may see them as early as the first week in February.

If there is anyone who didn't contact me but may want one, there may be one or two available. However, they will not have the holes drilled for the pressure plate. This was done in case someone wanted to use a different clutch set-up. The flywheel can be taken to your machine shop with the pressure plate for drilling and tapping. PM me if you're interested.

Special thanks to Mark aka Manta Rallier for his special assistance with this group buy. If it were not for him we would still be trying to drum up orders.

John

648 Posts
How does the S-10 clutch set up work with the Getrag 5 speed? Mine will be going back together when it warms up a tad. I currently have and planned to use a 2.0 flywheel and 8.5 inch clutch.

I've using the aluminum flywheel w/S-10 Zoom clutch and 5 speed for about 5 years now....never a problem. Way more clutch the I should ever need with the torque of my 2.0.

Jc

· Opeler
1,001 Posts
Order Update

I received a call from Unorthodox Racing this evening. The flywheels were shipped today from California. There is another company in CA that is owned by the same company that owns Unorthodox Racing and they work together to meet orders and based on the weather in NY at the time of the order and shop capacity, the CA based shop did the work. They assured me the finished product is identical as they work from the same plans. He mentioned this as he doesn't know if the flywheels will have the CA company's logo on it or Unorthodox's logo and wanted to assure me it's one in the same. They were a pleasure to work with and I'll post photos and another update when I receive them. I should receive them Friday and I'll contact everyone via PM to advise of final price including shipping hopefully this weekend.

There are two still available if anyone else is interested. They are not drilled for any specific clutch pressure plate. PM me if you're interested.

John

942 Posts
I received a call from Unorthodox Racing this evening. The flywheels were shipped today from California. There is another company in CA that is owned by the same company that owns Unorthodox Racing and they work together to meet orders and based on the weather in NY at the time of the order and shop capacity, the CA based shop did the work. They assured me the finished product is identical as they work from the same plans. He mentioned this as he doesn't know if the flywheels will have the CA company's logo on it or Unorthodox's logo and wanted to assure me it's one in the same. They were a pleasure to work with and I'll post photos and another update when I receive them. I should receive them Friday and I'll contact everyone via PM to advise of final price including shipping hopefully this weekend.

There are two still available if anyone else is interested. They are not drilled for any specific clutch pressure plate. PM me if you're interested.

John
Thanks for the good news John,
This was a great collaborative work,
Could only work in the US I can tell you!
Hiro

· Opeler
1,001 Posts
Flywheels Have Arrived

The flywheels arrived and look great!

I have contacted everyone involved by either PM or e-mail.

There are still two available. If you're interested please contact me.

Also, the contact at Unorthodox Racing was very cooperative and a pleasure to work with.

Thanks for everyone's involvement to make this happen.

John

Auto part
Auto part Rim Disc brake Wheel Vehicle brake
Product Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Rotor

942 Posts
The flywheels arrived and look great!

I have contacted everyone involved by either PM or e-mail.

There are still two available. If you're interested please contact me.

Also, the contact at Unorthodox Racing was very cooperative and a pleasure to work with.

Thanks for everyone's involvement to make this happen.

John

View attachment 16252 View attachment 16253 View attachment 16254
Great!
My Paypal must have reached you by now,
Thanks again for coordinating this group buy!
Hiro

· Opel Rallier since 1977
2,366 Posts
The 1 extra of these special flywheels has just sold. Thanks, Ernie!

If someone REALLY needs one, we have one extra that we were going to hold as a spare, but we might be talked out of it!

And thanks to John in JAX for driving this to completion!

Regards,
Mark B.

· Senior Contributor
5,199 Posts
You might try Fidanza (www.fidanza.com) to see if they would do a group buy at a reasonable cost.
Just went to their site and pulled up a flywheel for an MG Midget which is a stock item I guess and the cost was $434 plus shipping, sounds to me like a custom fab job might be pretty expensive, but you never know.

· Non Civilian
2,104 Posts
According to their site custom jobs are $1000 to $1500 each. Way too rich for my blood.

· Vendor
2,464 Posts
According to their site custom jobs are $1000 to $1500 each. Way too rich for my blood.
Unorthodox Racing (UR) would have charged similar money for a single, "one-off" custom flywheel. Setting up the machines is where the cost comes in, so if you let them cut 10 at a time then you'll likely save some $$. You'll never know unless you ask. Also, if someone in the group here could provide detailed specifications (a technical drawing would be great), you might save some additional money since it would be less work for Fidanza. Successful group buys require patience, determination, close attention to details, and a lot of organization.

Todd

· Senior Contributor
5,199 Posts
Unorthodox Racing (UR) would have charged similar money for a single, "one-off" custom flywheel. Setting up the machines is where the cost comes in, so if you let them cut 10 at a time then you'll likely save some $$. You'll never know unless you ask. Also, if someone in the group here could provide detailed specifications (a technical drawing would be great), you might save some additional money since it would be less work for Fidanza. Successful group buys require patience, determination, close attention to details, and a lot of organization.

Todd
Mine is in my car, but if I had one to measure I could do the drawing easily.

· Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
Unorthodox Racing (UR) would have charged similar money for a single, "one-off" custom flywheel.

Todd
You're absolutely right Todd, ask me how I know. I was the first person to have UR make the aluminum flywheel and mine was a fortune compared to the group buy prices. I actually just came across my invoice from UR the other day while looking for another receipt and was reminded of just how much it cost. I sent them a sample flywheel and gave them the specs for the aluminum ones and they made the CNC program from that. It sure would be nice to get the CNC program if they don't intend on ever making anymore. That would save all of the cost of doing it again.

Duane

· Vendor
2,464 Posts
Perhaps someone on the list with access to a CNC machine could make a run of them? Otherwise, everyone's going to have to wait until Duane needs another custom flywheel :lmao:.

181 - 200 of 203 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.