Opel GT Forum banner

Unorthodox Racing Flywheel group buy (#2?)

27K views 204 replies 48 participants last post by  Autoholic 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

I spoke with Jim Lodding at Unortodox Racing and I've been able to arrange a another run of the flywheels that the great god of opeldom Bob Legere had produced. That is if I can get at least 5 buyers.

These weigh in at 9 lbs and use the Chevy s-10 clutch.

The previous run was sold at $409.00 each, but that was with a run of 10 units.

The current run is for at least 5 units priced at $439.00

If we get more people than 5 the price should come down towards the $409 price.

Shipping will be $15 flat rate for the continental US.

I need you to post here saying you want one and possibly contact Jim at Unorthodox and let him know you want one.

I'm in for one, possibly two. Jim said that he had some people already interested that had contacted him directly. If you are on this board let us know here please. That will help keep track of how many are buying.

Thanks all!

ALan Goodwin

Contact info:

Jim Lodding
Unorthodox Racing
631-586-9525 x.11
jiml@unorthodoxracing.com

See less See more
#175 ·
Need Three More

As of 01/03/2008 there are seven interested including myself. We need three more. I've contacted the other six to be sure they're still interested. Please contact me if you're interested and you haven't received a message from me directly.

Please reveiw the ad at:

Unorthodox Racing Aluminum Flywheel - Opel Community Forums

Also, some of the flywheels can be ordered NOT drilled if you want to use a different clutch set-up and have it drilled locally. They will all have the steel insert measuring: 9" OD and 5 3/4" ID.

Price is $370.00 plus the actual cost of shipping from me to you. I would most likely use USPS.

John

#176 ·
As of 01/03/2008 there are seven interested including myself. We need three more. I've contacted the other six to be sure they're still interested. Please contact me if you're interested and you haven't received a message from me directly.

Please reveiw the ad at:

Unorthodox Racing Aluminum Flywheel - Opel Community Forums

Also, some of the flywheels can be ordered NOT drilled if you want to use a different clutch set-up and have it drilled locally. They will all have the steel insert measuring: 9" OD and 5 3/4" ID.

Price is $370.00 plus the actual cost of shipping from me to you. I would most likely use USPS.

John
I'm still with you John,
You have PM.
Hiro

#178 ·
Last Call

This is the last call for anyone interested in getting in on this group buy. The order will be placed later this week or early next week. This is also to advise those that have committed that once the order is placed it should be about 4-5 weeks until I receive them. This is based on Unorthodox's shop capacity and the availability of the ring gears.

So, please be prepared to send $$$ when I contact you which will be when I receive them.

Thanks for your support!!!

John

#179 ·
This is the last call for anyone interested in getting in on this group buy. The order will be placed later this week or early next week. This is also to advise those that have committed that once the order is placed it should be about 4-5 weeks until I receive them. This is based on Unorthodox's shop capacity and the availability of the ring gears.

So, please be prepared to send $$$ when I contact you which will be when I receive them.

Thanks for your support!!!

John

Thanks John!
I'm ready here,
Just tell me your Paypal account,
Money transfer will be immediate.
Hiro

#183 ·
I've using the aluminum flywheel w/S-10 Zoom clutch and 5 speed for about 5 years now....never a problem. Way more clutch the I should ever need with the torque of my 2.0.

Jc

#181 ·
Order Update

Gordy:

There are others that can answer that question better than I can as I am building an engine now and haven't used the S-10 clutch yet. But there is a lot of info available on this site. The clutch surface is larger and can handle much more torque. Also, depending on the manufacturer of the clutch pressure plate you may need to grind the inside of the bellhousing in one spot. Again, a lot of info about this by doing searches.

For those who involved in the recent group buy:

The order has been placed. They will begin manufacturing immediately and the rings gears are readily available. Therefore, I may see them as early as the first week in February.

If there is anyone who didn't contact me but may want one, there may be one or two available. However, they will not have the holes drilled for the pressure plate. This was done in case someone wanted to use a different clutch set-up. The flywheel can be taken to your machine shop with the pressure plate for drilling and tapping. PM me if you're interested.

Special thanks to Mark aka Manta Rallier for his special assistance with this group buy. If it were not for him we would still be trying to drum up orders.

John

#184 ·
Order Update

I received a call from Unorthodox Racing this evening. The flywheels were shipped today from California. There is another company in CA that is owned by the same company that owns Unorthodox Racing and they work together to meet orders and based on the weather in NY at the time of the order and shop capacity, the CA based shop did the work. They assured me the finished product is identical as they work from the same plans. He mentioned this as he doesn't know if the flywheels will have the CA company's logo on it or Unorthodox's logo and wanted to assure me it's one in the same. They were a pleasure to work with and I'll post photos and another update when I receive them. I should receive them Friday and I'll contact everyone via PM to advise of final price including shipping hopefully this weekend.

There are two still available if anyone else is interested. They are not drilled for any specific clutch pressure plate. PM me if you're interested.

John

#185 ·
I received a call from Unorthodox Racing this evening. The flywheels were shipped today from California. There is another company in CA that is owned by the same company that owns Unorthodox Racing and they work together to meet orders and based on the weather in NY at the time of the order and shop capacity, the CA based shop did the work. They assured me the finished product is identical as they work from the same plans. He mentioned this as he doesn't know if the flywheels will have the CA company's logo on it or Unorthodox's logo and wanted to assure me it's one in the same. They were a pleasure to work with and I'll post photos and another update when I receive them. I should receive them Friday and I'll contact everyone via PM to advise of final price including shipping hopefully this weekend.

There are two still available if anyone else is interested. They are not drilled for any specific clutch pressure plate. PM me if you're interested.

John
Thanks for the good news John,
This was a great collaborative work,
Could only work in the US I can tell you!
Hiro

#186 ·
Flywheels Have Arrived

The flywheels arrived and look great!

I have contacted everyone involved by either PM or e-mail.

There are still two available. If you're interested please contact me.

Also, the contact at Unorthodox Racing was very cooperative and a pleasure to work with.

Thanks for everyone's involvement to make this happen.

John

Auto part
Auto part Rim Disc brake Wheel Vehicle brake
Product Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Rotor

#187 ·
The flywheels arrived and look great!

I have contacted everyone involved by either PM or e-mail.

There are still two available. If you're interested please contact me.

Also, the contact at Unorthodox Racing was very cooperative and a pleasure to work with.

Thanks for everyone's involvement to make this happen.

John

View attachment 16252 View attachment 16253 View attachment 16254
Great!
My Paypal must have reached you by now,
Thanks again for coordinating this group buy!
Hiro

#194 ·
Just went to their site and pulled up a flywheel for an MG Midget which is a stock item I guess and the cost was $434 plus shipping, sounds to me like a custom fab job might be pretty expensive, but you never know.

#195 ·
According to their site custom jobs are $1000 to $1500 each. Way too rich for my blood.

#197 ·
Unorthodox Racing (UR) would have charged similar money for a single, "one-off" custom flywheel. Setting up the machines is where the cost comes in, so if you let them cut 10 at a time then you'll likely save some $$. You'll never know unless you ask. Also, if someone in the group here could provide detailed specifications (a technical drawing would be great), you might save some additional money since it would be less work for Fidanza. Successful group buys require patience, determination, close attention to details, and a lot of organization.

Todd

#200 ·
Perhaps someone on the list with access to a CNC machine could make a run of them? Otherwise, everyone's going to have to wait until Duane needs another custom flywheel :lmao:.

#202 ·
I don't live too terribly far away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.