Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The site will be down for a short time today for an update. The update will fix many of the I.E.6 & 7 issues along with other problems that have been reported. It may cause some formatting problems on the portal page though.
How will we be able to tell? :confused:

Harold

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
The site was updated today. Please post any new or unresolved issues in the Bug Reports forum.
- the banner at the top is still not auto-sizing to fit the screen resolution
- the Portal links for "go to last post" won't go to last post on threads with more than one page (this was working most of the time recently, but doesn't work at all today)
- The banner link to the Forum Index "looks" much better, but there are no visible sub-Forums; hence there is no way to know that there is a "wheels and tires" Forum, and it took me a couple of tries to find it myself, and I know it is there!
- the Technical Forum Index is better at navigating to the sub-Forums, but the size at it is now would be too large to fit in the Main Index
- It is good to see the Photo Gallery Index back with all the old categories (although that valve cover hose photo of jpiper is still MIA)
- The navigation arrows in the Photo Gallery still don't usually follow the particular Gallery that is being viewed; that applies to both searches (eg for latest 7 days) or for specific Galleries. this is a REAL PITA!
- Each post (at least in IE8) aftre a "Quote" leaves a bunch of empty space in the top of the post box, taking up a bunch more space than required
- The small editing dialogue links above post become replaced with small boxes with red "x"'s inside them (the function remains, but you have to hover the cursor there to see what it is)

That's my comments so far.

·
1,284 Posts
Gary

I use Firefox 3.5.8. The banner across the top is still messed up.

Portal Home Forum Chat Room Groups Blog What's New? Opel Links Ebay Searchh, A BOX followed by a Magnifying glass

Under Portal it has photo Gallery with more text underneath that. I clicked back and the same thing in another window.

Also the ebay search goes under the BOX.

Is there a way that I should be resizing or what.

·
Senior Contributor
4,977 Posts
Gary

Portal Home Forum Chat Room Groups Blog What's New? Opel Links Ebay Searchh, A BOX followed by a Magnifying glass

Under Portal it has photo Gallery with more text underneath that. I clicked back and the same thing in another window.

Dave,
I am running the same version and have no problems.

·
Crackpot Inventor
285 Posts
Gary

i think the site is made for a specific screen size..... if your screen resolution is too small it tries to wrap the menus to the next line.

try making the browser window full screen,

or.....

changing your screen resolution to 800x600 or 1024x768 if it is already at 800x600

·
Administrator
10,047 Posts
i think the site is made for a specific screen size..... if your screen resolution is too small it tries to wrap the menus to the next line.

try making the browser window full screen,

or.....

changing your screen resolution to 800x600 or 1024x768 if it is already at 800x600
You got it. The default "skin" is a fixed width. I've added extra buttons in the navigation bar and they fill an empty space. Setting your browser to full width "should" stop it.

·
Viking
862 Posts
Desktop: Firefox 3.5.8. Resolution 1024x768. No problems.
Laptop: Firefox 3.5.8. Resolution 1280x800. No problems.

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm using I.E. 8 and the lowest screen resolution I could use to fix the problem was, 1152 by 864. Man those icons get itty bitty when you go that far, may have to start wearing my glasses now. :haha:

Harold

P.S. When I first saw this thread this morning I was scared it was about me. :ugh:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,405 Posts
embedded photos

Some photos in older posts don't open/enlarge when I click on them. The "timer dial" just keeps going round and round.

I'm using Firefox 3.5.8

·
1000 Post Club
4,109 Posts
Can anyone who is running I.E. 6 confirm that the formatting problems are fixed?
Nope, when I go to the home page I get wraparound. If the issue still persists, I'll bring my computer to Carlisle if you want.

·
Administrator
10,047 Posts
Nope, when I go to the home page I get wraparound. If the issue still persists, I'll bring my computer to Carlisle if you want.
Do you have your browser window set to full screen? I have IE 6 at work and it displays normal at full screen and wraps when it is set to the "Restore Down" setting.

·
1,284 Posts
I can't figure out how to get this to change. I checked my screen resolution and it is 1024 x 768. I captured a screen shot for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I don't know whats happening but I can not get past page one on a multiple page post. :ugh:

·
1000 Post Club
4,109 Posts
Do you have your browser window set to full screen? I have IE 6 at work and it displays normal at full screen and wraps when it is set to the "Restore Down" setting.
Yup, but this issue doesn't bother me. I just go right to the Forum tab and everything is good.

My company won't even update the flash player so I can't watch CNN new clips(or youtube) anymore.

As long as I can access the site, I'm happy.

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Searching fix...

I can't recall the latest status on improving the search function - is that a plug-in not available yet? The problem is that "regular expressions" can't be used to narrow the scope. A search for "brake booster" should return only threads that have those two words in that order but instead returns any thread with "brake" or "booster" in it (and in any order). It seems odd that the base forum program wouldn't support such an important function. Am I just using the search wrong? BTW, "Advanced Search" does the same thing.

P.S. Since searching first before posting is one of the forum commandments, can this be placed at the top of the list to resolve?

Thanks!

Matt

·
1,284 Posts
OK I finally figured it out, I was going the wrong wy with resolution, now everything is great. I just need one of those page magnifiers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts