Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallelujah!!!

I received the following from Udo this morning (Sept. 20) My emphasis has been added:

Dear Mr. Smith,

sorry for the very late answer.
Opel USA was a section with information on importing Opel vehicles from the USA. We have imported more than 350 Opel GT (and some Manta and Kadett) from California and Arizona to Germany in the last 27 years. That's why there was an article and a lot of information about it. However, we are currently redesigning our website and this information page is therefore deactivated.
As of today, we are cautiously starting air freight shipments to the USA again. We will then wait and see how the matter develops.

Many greetings

Udo Bornemann

·
Registered
The Young One
1,725 Posts
Cool! I wonder how much shipping will cost? They have some parts that I might need some day that I can’t get from ogts.

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a real opportunity here for both Canadians and those of us in the 'States. A year ago, it cost $1.15USD to buy a Euro, and our neighbors to the north had to come up with 1.5 loonies to buy one. Today, at this moment, the exchange rate is $0.9975 USD and $1.3328 .CAD. Udo has not changed his prices since the order he cancelled earlier this year (including EUR 43 for shipping on a EUR 140 order), so, translating to dollars, we have an order from a year ago that would have cost $210.45 USD last year now comes in at $182.54, a 13% savings; For Canadians, the cost last year would have been $274.50 CAD, compared to $243.90 now, a savings of 11%.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you bought it in England, you exchanged dollars for something denominated in the pound-sterling, because England never adopted the Euro (although Scotland did -- go figure). You still got a deal because the sterling has gone from about $1.35 down to its current $1.14, largely a consequence of Brexit. When you and I were kids in short pants, the exchange rate was about $5 USD.

Now is definitely a great time to buy from Europe, or even go visit. Helping them out is another story -- they may feel more like we are tossing them a bone. Their economy is being hurt from inflation far worse than ours, in part because of us. While we have little to do with what is going on with Ukraine, the energy inflation in Europe is far more acute because of that. Plus, we were quicker to recover from the Covid pandemic, putting our economy back on track quicker. But, to the point, the Fed's attempt to squash inflation by raising interest rates is what has made the dollar suddenly so strong, trashing other currencies and making imports for those countries more expensive.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,435 Posts
I doubt Fort Knox is empty. I don’t think it’s completely full of gold, but I doubt the US sold it all. It is likely used as collateral on our $30 trillion of national debt, among other things used to secure our deficit. Our treasury bonds have to be backed by more than our word to repay them, because realistically we’re never going to repay that debt.

I often wonder what is holding everything together, financially. I tend to come to the conclusion that it is all an illusion. If the US was to be called to the floor on its outstanding debt, we would default and go bankrupt. If the US goes bankrupt, everyone else would too as the dominos fell. The only thing that keeps society together is the illusion that the US isn’t bankrupt. All the other countries keep playing the game because to choose otherwise would be anarchy.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting stats on what Ft. Knox holds, has held, and the value at which it is accounted for.

A friend of mine that used to work for me took a job at the New York Fed and was given the opportunity by her boss to go deep into the vaults and view the gold held there, much of it belonging to other countries and serving as collateral for their sovereign debt.

A childhood acquaintance from my days in southern NJ was involved with one of the biggest thefts in history at the time, in the 1970s. He was part of a string of people signing off on the destruction of worn-out paper money. The ringleader bought off everybody down the line. One of the guys, a kid about 18-years-old or so, had never seen so much money in his life, got nervous and tossed his payout down a storm sewer (as I recall, in Gordo's town). The money was found, turned in, traced and everybody rounded up. You can look it up.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
598 Posts
Ha! There is also the story of the guy would made thousands of fake nickels. He was caught and he dumped all the nickels in the Cooper River, next to my house. I think yhey only recovered a small number of them.
Very Interesting. The 1944 Henning Nickel.

·
Vendor
3,474 Posts
Interesting derailment, all because someone just had to say Fort Knox is empty lol.
Seriously. Just to bring it back on topic, kudos to Michael for working with Udo to open up Splendid parts to the NA market once again. I never actually ordered from these guys, but I've long admired their online catalog. It's a real win to have them as an option for Opelers in the US and CAN.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,691 Posts
I doubt Fort Knox is empty. I don’t think it’s completely full of gold, but I doubt the US sold it all. It is likely used as collateral on our $30 trillion of national debt, among other things used to secure our deficit. Our treasury bonds have to be backed by more than our word to repay them, because realistically we’re never going to repay that debt.

I often wonder what is holding everything together, financially. I tend to come to the conclusion that it is all an illusion. If the US was to be called to the floor on its outstanding debt, we would default and go bankrupt. If the US goes bankrupt, everyone else would too as the dominos fell. The only thing that keeps society together is the illusion that the US isn’t bankrupt. All the other countries keep playing the game because to choose otherwise would be anarchy.
A blast from the past!......

Reactions: hrcollinsjr
1 - 16 of 16 Posts