Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys so a couple of months ago I talked about my great uncles other GT. I went there yesterday to talk to him and pay him for my GT that I bought off him. The blue GT has 1 rust hole on either rocker. The chrome like the front bumper and valve cover are blacked out which are pretty cool. The speedometer said 12,000 miles! I think that might be true because the windows roll down super nice. The paint is holding up very good because the car was painted a week before my great uncle got around 30yrs ago. There are just a few flakes of paint coming off on the back. The interior was in decent condition. The drivers seat had a rip on the bottom part and the passenger seat is perfect. The headliner is holding up but isn't in the greatest condition. The spare tire and tools are still in the car. It is a stick shift. Also there still is a radio in it. The dash is in perfect condition! There isn't even a crack on it! I will post a youtube video of it soon. Also i will post some pics of it tonight. My great uncle said that he was still think about selling it to me. He wants to know what I will do with the GT I have now. I think he thinks I will resell it ,but Opel GTs are my favorite car and I would never do that. Hopefully I will get it this summer!

Sam

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Good chance it has 112,000 miles on it. When the pics are posted we should be able to tell.

Karl
X2

More then likely 112 K miles and not 12 K

·
Registered
761 Posts
Your tastes will change, no point in thinking they won't. If you some day feel differently, act differently. You're not married to it.

You may want to cannibalize the blue GT to complete your other GT, it might be cheaper than ordering parts. Or, once you're done, you might want the GT you drive, and the GT you make better, so that you're not without a car while you're tinkering for months or maybe years.

Or maybe you soon discover something else you're more interested in pursuing than old cars and this is no longer a priority.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your tastes will change, no point in thinking they won't. If you some day feel differently, act differently. You're not married to it.

You may want to cannibalize the blue GT to complete your other GT, it might be cheaper than ordering parts. Or, once you're done, you might want the GT you drive, and the GT you make better, so that you're not without a car while you're tinkering for months or maybe years.

Or maybe you soon discover something else you're more interested in pursuing than old cars and this is no longer a priority.
The GT that I own now will be kind of a beater my grandpa and I are just trying to get it running and driving good. Then we will fix the rust and maybe paint it. That car is a minimal cost car. The blue GT is in way better condition than my GT so that car wouldn't take that much work(I am hoping). The blue GT if I get it, it would be the car I only drive in nice weather.
Here are some old pics of the blue GT. They aren't that great of pics.

Sam

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
If the rockers have rust holes it's pretty much a sure thing that the blue car has extensive rust throughout. The pictures seem to bear that out. If you want to learn how to do extensive bodywork over a few years it might be a good candidate. My opinion and I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the rockers have rust holes it's pretty much a sure thing that the blue car has extensive rust throughout. The pictures seem to bear that out. If you want to learn how to do extensive bodywork over a few years it might be a good candidate. My opinion and I hope I'm wrong.
Well my GT is pretty rusty and this one is way nicer.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Well my GT is pretty rusty and this one is way nicer.
Well that's good news. Fare better to invest your time and resources into something in overall better shape!

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that's good news. Fare better to invest your time and resources into something in overall better shape!
Yep definently and it's a stick and mine is a automatic. I want a stick more even though i am 14yrs old!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Yep definently and it's a stick and mine is a automatic. I want a stick more even though i am 14yrs old!
Well your going the right way! These old 4 speeds are indeed fun as hell

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some pics. Sorry they are really bad my gopro wasn't focusing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a video of my great uncles stuff. The GT is about half way in the video.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have to ask: Was he a sick man that collected this stuff and let it sit? Was he a car thief? Did people just drive up and park cars in his barn and walk away? The world needs to know....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to ask: Was he a sick man that collected this stuff and let it sit? Was he a car thief? Did people just drive up and park cars in his barn and walk away? The world needs to know....
Hahahaha...... No he just liked the cars and put them in the barn once he drove them about 2 times up and down the road. He says the only car he would restore would be his 1937 Graham Calvier coupe, because there are only a couple like 10 left in the world. His daughter wants the fiat and I want the opel GT that he has. My grandpa I thin would also like a few cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts