Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I recently picked up a '74 Manta Luxus from a little old lady in rural West Virginia that i'm going through and getting drivable. The car is mostly all there but I have a couple things I need to get it to 100%. Looking for driver quality stuff, so doesn't need to be perfect!

• Tinted windshield
  • EARLY style (pre '74 big bumper) front and rear bumpers w/ brackets
  • Stock speaker (can be blown out, just want the bracket to adapt some new speakers)
  • 2X C-pillar exterior vents, later style (mid '73 and up)
  • Fuel Tank
  • rearview mirror
  • 1 hub cap
  • gas cap (either burgundy or chrome)
  • corrugated hose from grille to air cleaner
  • Control duct hose from header to air cleaner
  • fuse box cover
Let me know what you have! I'm located in Raleigh NC, so depending on location of the bigger parts, would be willing to drive to get them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried www.Opelgtsource.com They have a lot of parts.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion! I have been on there and gotten some things already to get working, but I'm hoping for some of this smaller stuff, someone may have some original parts sitting around that are "good enough" for a driver as opposed to shelling out for the brand new stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The silver hoses for the engine can be bought at local auto parts stores. I got mine at Autozone.

Karl
Ok thank you I figured this would work for the hose coming up from the exhaust manifold, but is there a good source for the cardboard-like hose that goes from the air cleaner to the induction hole in the front grille?

·
Registered
14 Posts
For my '72 1900 Ascona, I used the black corrugated cardboard tube that is used on air cooled Beetles (between the fan shroud and the heater boxes) for the air cleaner to radiator support induction hose.

hjmimports55 on eBay has the carb pre-heat air hose (exhaust manifold to air cleaner snout). It's listed as a 1.1 Opel, but is the correct dia. on both ends for the 1.9 through late '73, I think. It's not cheap, but it has the metal sleeve in the large end just as the original did. Luckily it's a few inches too long.

·
Non Civilian
2,085 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I found a couple threads on this forum of people who have done it, needs some fabrication but seems pretty straightforward once you get the big gas shocks off the frame rails. The earlier brackets just bolt to the rails themselves right? I know the early bumpers also bolted through the fender but that also seems easy to deal with. Of course, this is just all guessing!

·
Super Moderator
9,683 Posts
It's more involved on the conversion of bumpers....contact people like Neuropel he had his 74 converted to look like a 73

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'll look through a few more crates and see if I can find the brackets to mount the early bumpers. And yes, you would need to drill holes through the fenders at the corners.

·
Super Moderator
13,552 Posts
The height of the bumpers is different too. It’s not that straightforward.

Do-able, but a decent amount of bodywork.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts