Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
The distance between the joints of the inner tie rods has a large affect on the bump steer characteristics of the suspension. One should be very cautious in using alternate racks.

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Not to mention the Pinto rack is 40% slower in ratio than the GT. The steering would feel like a UPS truck!

Bob

Reactions: guyopel

·
Reborn Opeler
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My GT is not near at the moment but I think it is about 3-1/2 to 4 turns lock to lock.
The JEG's pinto one is 3.75 lock to lock. I don't know what the pinto knuckle radius and degree turn is, but the aftermarket rack seems close on ratio.

My main question was has anyone replaced the rack with something else?
Where can I find a stock rebuilt rack or parts?

Is everybody but the west coast freezing their seeds off?

Todd

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
chevette again

I would think the Chevette unit might be a better fit, or even the power rack from a Fiero? I've been meaning to try the Power fack out miself, since one of the engins options I was looking at had to have a power steering pump (to route the serpentine belt) and I figured I might as well try to use it. Like many things, though, I never got around to it.

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
The GT is 3.0 turns lock to lock. A lot of the Pinto racks that I've seen are 4.21 turns. Of course, 'Pinto' is somewhat of a misnomer, they're completely aftermarket these days.....

Bob

·
Reborn Opeler
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The JEG'S rack assembly is made by wildwwod. It is part of their front suspension kit. They say "pinto" because the parts evolved out of the availability of pinto and mustang II parts for racing modifications. The only thing that is pinto about it now is the width, travel, pinion location and angle. The turn ratio is not like stock pinto.
If nobody has tried a different rack, then where do you get a new or rebuilt GT rack ass. from?

·
315 Posts
Quaife makes steering racks... yea the same Quaife that makes Torsen differentials. They make a rack for a Manta/Ascona. The turn ratio is 2.5:1. I'm not sure, but I think that you could take all of the parts including the bushings and put them in a GT rack and "presto" good as/better than new rack. Maybe a Manta/Ascona expert out there could confirm that the "guts" are interchangable.

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Tha Manta rack is different from the GT's. The Manta rack is narrower than the GT, even though the track width is wider on the Manta. The input pinion angle, the rack diameter, and the rack length are wrong.

Also, the Quaife rack is for a Manta B, and is two inches wider than the Manta A, plus it's a larger diameter shaft too. I have fitted these to a Manta A, but it requires a bit of machine work to do. The bushings in the rack must be bored out, the thrust bushing must be enlarged for the larger shaft, and the rack length must be shortened and retapped (VERY hard steel!). You also need a second universal joint in the steering column....the Manta A normally has a rubber dampener ring at the pinion input.

Travis, for reference, the fast ratio rack in the Ascona we ice-raced is a Quaife fast rack kit from a Manta B that has been adapted to fit.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Bob, what about using the Kadett 'C' front suspension? It is independent coil spring, like the Manta, and can fit the GT with minor modifications to the GT and the cross member. Okay here it would be the Isuzzu Imark.

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Anything can be done given the time, money and ability. If I were to install an alternate front suspension in a GT, I'd fabricate one from scratch most likely. I'd go with the Toyota truck rear axle (strong, cheap, and about 3" wider), and make the front suspension approximately 1" wider than the rear axle. Would probably use the Manta rack, inboard coilovers, and custom a-arms. Manta spindles too. But I'm getting off topic (again). This discussion was originally about the GT rack and pinion.

Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
Let's REVIVE this thread & go Manta!

RallyBob said:
Also, the Quaife rack is for a Manta B, and is two inches wider than the Manta A, plus it's a larger diameter shaft too. I have fitted these to a Manta A, but it requires a bit of machine work to do. The bushings in the rack must be bored out, the thrust bushing must be enlarged for the larger shaft, and the rack length must be shortened and retapped (VERY hard steel!). You also need a second universal joint in the steering column....the Manta A normally has a rubber dampener ring at the pinion input.
Bob
Ok... reading this for my Dirt-track manta and knowing I need to get a fast ratio rack and pinion am thinking "hey, Quaife might have what I need?" Then I realize... I own three Manta's and one GT and I don't know the difference between a Manta A and a Manta B. :eek: It's ok to laugh... :D

How do I tell which I have and is Quaife the recommended place to acquire fast ratio rack and pinion for my manta?

Thank you!
DirtTrackManta

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
hi dtm
i would not worry about a manta "b" as they did not come to the states
but if you look on your brouser search engine you will find pics of a manta B
they are a flater sided shape than an "a"but the mechanics are very much the same
theres a pic in the albums at
http://opelgt.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/341
the quaife racks are £78 at the moment but with the doller doing the cash fandango and flying as good as a boeing with a dodgy wirring job
i will let you do the conversion (today multiply by 0.52) :D :D
they are the rally drivers rack of choice here and we still have a large number of b's used in classic rallys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts