Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970 Pearl White GT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty folks as always i wait until we are a month out from Carlisle before tackling problems on the old White Mistress. Last year i picked up a LE-Jetronic system. Apparently this system was on this car before and it was swapped out to a carb and then i bought it. I believe i have the wiring all figured out as well as the fuel lines. What i need help on is the coolant lines.

I have a thermostat housing that has 3 large connections. I "believe" the left goes to the water pump, the middle goes to the lower radiator and the right one goes to the upper radiator. Am i correct in this? Also does anyone have a part numbers of hoses that would fit? The part stores around us don't really have stuff hanging around like they used to,
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Engineering Auto part

On my next small issue. I ordered the adapter for the coolant drainage in the rear of the block. OGTS sent the large fitting and i assume the EURO motors had a much bigger hole. From reading a few past post i found the plug i removed is a m14-1.5 and i need to adapt this hole to a 5/8 hose. This correct?

Font Circuit component Gas Wood Electric blue

For those that are familiar with the old setup on this car feel free to chime in on things you remember. Also any pictures people have of an LE system installed would help. Many of the old pics and links on this site no longer work. Tomorrow I am going to start disassembly of the motor and coolant lines to start the retro fit install. I pray i can get it all in and running by may 1st. That will give me 12 days to test drive and work out any bugs before our 700mile trip.

Any help is very appreciated.

Chad

·
Super Moderator
6,219 Posts
I assume you actually are referring to the North American 1975 L-Jetronic EFI, not the later Euro-only LE-Jetronic?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Charles Goin had a very long thread on the LE system here, but as you noted, the photos are gone, I guess lost in the transition from the old site to this new one. He might be the guy you want to contact regards to set up. Here is his quick overview of his LE from youtube, something I believe also lost in the site transition.

·
Super Moderator
14,649 Posts
Alrighty folks as always i wait until we are a month out from Carlisle before tackling problems on the old White Mistress. Last year i picked up a LE-Jetronic system. Apparently this system was on this car before and it was swapped out to a carb and then i bought it. I believe i have the wiring all figured out as well as the fuel lines. What i need help on is the coolant lines.

I have a thermostat housing that has 3 large connections. I "believe" the left goes to the water pump, the middle goes to the lower radiator and the right one goes to the upper radiator. Am i correct in this? Also does anyone have a part numbers of hoses that would fit? The part stores around us don't really have stuff hanging around like they used to,
View attachment 443208

On my next small issue. I ordered the adapter for the coolant drainage in the rear of the block. OGTS sent the large fitting and i assume the EURO motors had a much bigger hole. From reading a few past post i found the plug i removed is a m14-1.5 and i need to adapt this hole to a 5/8 hose. This correct?

View attachment 443209

For those that are familiar with the old setup on this car feel free to chime in on things you remember. Also any pictures people have of an LE system installed would help. Many of the old pics and links on this site no longer work. Tomorrow I am going to start disassembly of the motor and coolant lines to start the retro fit install. I pray i can get it all in and running by may 1st. That will give me 12 days to test drive and work out any bugs before our 700mile trip.

Chad
The tricky hose to get is the water pump bypass hose. From Europe only (or OGTS).

Automotive tire Gas Vehicle brake Auto part Rim

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,476 Posts

View attachment 443208

View attachment 443209

Chad

Chad, I just sent you a Conversation message with Charles Goin's phone number. If you have Messenger on Facebook or something you can also contact him that way even better.

·
Premium Member
1970 Pearl White GT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
RallyBob - your not making this easy. Your supposed to give me easy part # to the local autozone!!! I guess ill give OGTS a call today and see if they have any or all of them sitting on a shelf.

Looks like i had my hose orientation swapped.. It should be: Left - Lower Rad, Midddle - water pump, & Right to Upper Rad.

EDIT:: i just found all this info on OGTS under the Manta cooling items. Gosh dang it! Would have been nice if i found this on my last big order.

One question i now have does the Manta and GT have the same size ports on the radiator? The old hose i took off is much larger than the ports on the new thermostat housing. I assume this OGTS hose has 2 different size ends.

·
Opeler
868 Posts
If you're using the original radiator, you have come to the right place! I found a suitable upper hose and a miracle lower hose for using the f.i. water outlet in a GT. O'Reilly Auto Parts has an excellent web site that lets you view hoses and rotate the views around. I was able to narrow it down there, and it took a few tries with physical fitting, but here's what I came up with:
Upper hose - requires a little to be trimmed off one end - Gates #22868
Font Auto part Eyelash Conger eel Event

Lower Hose - a complicated, perfect miracle fit that requires no trimming - Gates #22397
Font Symbol

I hope to see you at Carlisle!

Bill

·
Premium Member
1970 Pearl White GT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info Bill. I have the upper coming from O'reilys and the other 2 coming from Gil. He was OOS for the upper.

I BARELY got that front bolt in on the 2 bolt thermostat housing. I had to really shave down an cheapo wrench just to get the bolt to turn and i still can hardly get a grip on it. How in the heck do you guys do it? Also i had to use every tool in the box to get to those intake bolts. i still have to torque them down and figure out the back one. i haven't gotten the right angle on it yet.

You guys have any tips n tricks or tool mods i can try to make the job easier?

EDIT: A thought just occurred to me. Should i be using socket head cap screws instead of the hex heads that were on the car already? It would make torqueing them down SO much easier.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,476 Posts
You can replace the manifold bolts with allen heads, as well as, other bolts on the engine to get them to be easier to tighten. Some allen wrenches have a ball-shaped end that let you get at them from an angle. I use a variety of long, ball-end, allens and slip a Gear Wrench over the shaft to tighten them. I've also chopped them short at one end for clearance. Here's some pics of my modified 15mm box wrench and my allens:

Hand tool Tool Wood Bumper Metalworking hand tool

Hand Gesture Wood Tints and shades Twig

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

Musical instrument Tableware Wood Musical instrument accessory Cutlery

·
Premium Member
1970 Pearl White GT
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So i have everything in the car and its started and run for a few minutes. After fixing a few small issues i am questioning the vaccum lines that i have going to the throttle valve housing. As you can see in the picture i need to know what i should connect to the tiny line directly underneath the housing. I couldn't get a very good picture of it. When i acquired this LE system it was capped off. It doesn't seem to have any vacuum to it when the engine RPM rises. Anyone know what im talking about or do i need to find a better picture? What is this thing for?

Also the top arrow i have it going to the small hole in the valve cover. Since i do experience a bit more blow by at higher RPM I was planning on running the large hose to a catch can and then vent under car. Is this acceptable? Or should i route the catch can output to this throttle housing port instead and what do i do with the small hole in valve cover?

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I have a similar small port on the throttle body I am using on my fuel injection build. The port is on the air filter side of the throttle body and is quite a small hole. The research that I have done indicates that it is for some sort of emissions control feature. I do not plan to use it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts