Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions for this amateur mechanic

I searched this site for info, but I haven't seen this discussed much. I'm just wondering whether the Opel experts on the board would advise for or against an amateur mechanic such as myself replacing the upper ball joints on a '73 GT. I have helped others with similar things (never on an Opel though), and have done plenty of other mechanical repairs myself on the 14 cars I've owned over the last 20 years. But I've never messed with suspension at all.

I have a good manual and am good at tackling new things in general. From what it says I don't need a spring compressor, so I believe I have all the tools I need. I just don't want to miss something important that only an experienced Opel mechanic would know, leaving me with my car sitting disassembled, or even worse, causing my wheels to flop over on the freeway :eek:

Opinions?

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
It's pretty easy. The toughest part is making sure you have a puller that fits. You'll want a relatively small 2 'finger'(sorry, don't know the right term) puller. There isn't much room between the upper and lower ball joint.

-Travis

·
137 Posts
Ah ... this thread is timely ...

I removed the upper control arms on my GT last evening to clean and paint them. I left the upper ball joints inplace and installed a set of rusty control arms so I can drive the car. I was careful to install the washers and spacers in their original positions. Yep ... removing control arms is pretty simple ... I'll replace the ball joints when I get my painting work done. The ball joints are easy to get to and should pop out with the proper tool.

Question: Is there a "left" and "right" upper control arm (I know the lower control arms are specific for the left and right sides)? The upper control arms appear to be identical.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your responses make me feel more confident about doing this myself. I do have a 2 'finger' (I don't know the right term either) ball joint separator, but I'm not sure if it'll be small enough. Just picked one out at AutoZone. I guess I'll find out ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
> don't forget to take pictures as you go along!
> This is also going to be my next winter project.
> Good luck!

I'll be tackling this in the next few weeks. Waiting for parts and need to wait till after my vacation. I'll definitely share whatever I learn.

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
Upper ball joints are easy. I did mine in August. We call that removal tool a "fork" (don't know if that is the right name or not). These "forks" also come in different sizes, get one of the smaller ones for your Opel.

Good Luck,

Vickie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts