Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here I go again (love that tune)
I'm putting together the upper control arm and all is well ( for the most part)
once I get to the large toothed washer It appears I've run outa room to squeeze it in
Was I not supposed to press the new bushings all the way in?
it seems the inner sleeves to the new bushings are the problem
The old one came apart easy but of coarse they were severally worn.
Do one of you fine folks have a tip? :haha:

·
Can Opeler
3,261 Posts
IIRC, the total thickness of the washers should be .48" thick. I think they generally had a .36" washer in the front with a .12" washer to the rear.

HTH,

Harold
I have to look up what IIRC and HTH are nearly every time you post lol.

It looks to me that the inner sleeve is pushed way too far in. I’d knock that back in and try again. I’m not sure what the deal is though. My upper control arms have always been loose enough to fit all the washer and then some if I wanted to until I tighten.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I have to look up what IIRC and HTH are nearly every time you post lol.

It looks to me that the inner sleeve is pushed way too far in. I’d knock that back in and try again. I’m not sure what the deal is though. My upper control arms have always been loose enough to fit all the washer and then some if I wanted to until I tighten.
I think Harold means (IIRC), If I Remember Correctly and (HTH) Hope this helps. Be easy on him, He's getting on up there in age.:p:lmao: Just Kidding Harold :p Jarrell
Mine were loose too. Jarrell

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Harold means (IIRC), If I Remember Correctly and (HTH) Hope this helps. Be easy on him, He's getting on up there in age.:p:lmao: Just Kidding Harold :p Jarrell
Mine were loose too. Jarrell
well hot darn
I think (mwL2) means nime rewe osole oto.:lmao:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IIRC, the total thickness of the washers should be .48" thick. I think they generally had a .36" washer in the front with a .12" washer to the rear.

HTH,

Harold
Thank you Harold, I did check that and there right on.
I do have the placement correct for these per fsm and OGTS tech notes and I watched knorm's video again just in case that canadian club was in my way LOL
I also checked the other side to see if there was something weird happening and same clearance issue on both sides
I'll get a fresh eye on it today after errands and back cracker appointment

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well well well, I didn't see that coming
I just figured out what was going on.
It appears a previous owner shaved down the outside of the bushing sleeve on both the uca.
Why would one do such a thing? it appears to be that the shaved sides would either be put in the front or the rear
Meaning that if I leave them the way I have them installed now the shaved sides are in the rear.
If I flip them the shaved sides would be in the front.
My thought is fortunately they were both shaved from the outside.
I pushed the inner sleeves in on the bushing just enough to give the room I needed.
SO does it matter as to shaved side towards rear or front?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hhuumm OK,

Well I got them in and waiting,
Sent another email to Gil in case my last transmission was forgotten/ set a side
If he's OK with the spring then I'm off to the races and can finally get this little stink pot back together:haha:
I was unaware I could move the inner sleeve of the bushing, turns out it will slide back and forth with out to much effort
Thank you all for your patience with this and me

·
Registered
214 Posts
I enjoy coming across your posts Terry. I'm a couple steps behind you so your questions answer my questions. I ran into the same issue, pushed the sleeve back and it worked out fine.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I enjoy coming across your posts Terry. I'm a couple steps behind you so your questions answer my questions. I ran into the same issue, pushed the sleeve back and it worked out fine.
Good to hear Bob and thank you,
I sometimes think I'm over thinking and ask questions that others may not out of embarrassment but I'd rather ask and be told I'm wrong or right or just a greenhorn finding there way
I'd rather take the time to ask and do it right the first time ( best of my ability) than have to redo and redo until I get it right
Coarse having said that even with the great advise from the opel wizards here you still have to arrange or do something more than once to get it right and feel good about what you have accomplished.Gosh knows with out the advise of the wizards here it would be a long long treacherous journey with more foul language than the jar could hold. It would be hard to ask for all the cuzz money in the jar, just to put it back into a project that would fill the jar up and overflowing again. LOL

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm with you on that. I'm pretty mechanical but I'm always concerned that I may be missing something. The ability to talk with people who have already walked the walk is invaluable. I finished the front end today. I just need to load up the car, bounce it and torque it. Speaking of weight, the battery in the nose makes little sense other than being in a convenient location. I'll probably put a battery box beside the spare tire.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey Terry, A while back you posted a pic of your car and tire sizes. I've looked for it to no avail. Can you post it here for me? Thanks! I had thought of lowering the rear of the car 1" as well but I think it will give it the nose up gasser look that the front spring sorta took away.. You car has a nice stance with the original springs.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure Bob,
fronts are 205/50/15 and rears are 225/50/15 MST rims 4/100 not sure of the offset though
And now that the rear end is done I think it sits perfect with a 1 ' difference from front to rear
drivers new lowering spring installed.jpg passenger side lowering spring installed.jpg

·
Can Opeler
3,261 Posts
Looks like you got it nice and level.
I have a 1” drop and the front and a 1.5” drop on the back of mine and the rear is still a solid 1” higher than the front.

Looks like your taller rear tires make that less noticeable.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sure Bob,
fronts are 205/50/15 and rears are 225/50/15 MST rims 4/100 not sure of the offset though
And now that the rear end is done I think it sits perfect with a 1 ' difference from front to rear
View attachment 424249 View attachment 424250
It looks good. The rear tires fill the wheel well nicely. I was hoping for a little more drop in the front of my car but it was an improvement. The 225/50/15's will work well. I checked my wheels which are 15" aluminum and the backspacing is zero and they look good.. Thanks! We'd make good neighbors....;)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks good. The rear tires fill the wheel well nicely. I was hoping for a little more drop in the front of my car but it was an improvement. The 225/50/15's will work well. I checked my wheels which are 15" aluminum and the backspacing is zero and they look good.. Thanks! We'd make good neighbors....;)
one thing I've found now that it dropped an 1" is I used to go through the front with my floor jack and jack the whole front end up by the front suspension to either add jack stands or put my rollers under the front tires now the jack wants to rub before I get it there so I put something on the jack so it doesn't scratch the belly otherwise I would need a smaller jack I guess.
Glad I could be in a position to help/give back
It would be nice to have a fellow opeller friend/neighbor to tinker with doesn't seem fare to cuss alone LOL

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm a
Looks like you got it nice and level.
I have a 1” drop and the front and a 1.5” drop on the back of mine and the rear is still a solid 1” higher than the front.

Looks like your taller rear tires make that less noticeable.
[/Q
one thing I've found now that it dropped an 1" is I used to go through the front with my floor jack and jack the whole front end up by the front suspension to either add jack stands or put my rollers under the front tires now the jack wants to rub before I get it there so I put something on the jack so it doesn't scratch the belly otherwise I would need a smaller jack I guess.
Glad I could be in a position to help/give back
It would be nice to have a fellow opeller friend/neighbor to tinker with doesn't seem fare to cuss alone LOL
I'll probably have the same issue once I put the taller rear tires on. It's tight now. A friend lent me some alignment plates and a toe kit so today is alignment day. I just noticed that there are forums for different area Opel owners so I said hello in the New England forum to see if there's anyone in my area.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just looked up what 205/50/r15 means. 205 is the width, 50 is the aspect ratio/height. Since both of your tires are 50 the difference in your front and rear tires is width not height yet your rear wheel well is full of tire while mine has almost 4" space between tire and wheel well. Are you sure you have stock rear springs?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts