Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Opeler
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started off thinking I was just going to do a few things to get my '71 GT road worthy for the spring. Now I'm knee deep in stripped down parts and I'm hoping for late summer. I have found a lot of rust where the vertical piece of the front cross member inserts into the body (drives side. I can't tell if the OGTS part (item 3048) is what I'm looking for. I've ground off the four spot welds that held the rusty piece and I've done a crude sketch on the computer. Can anyone who might have gone through this look at the sketch and let me know if my luck is starting to turn around? The passenger side looks like new, but there wasn't much left of the driver's side (this and the shocks were the only pieces of the front suspension that showed any rust).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
The OGTS part is the flat plate that the shock upper bushing goes through. The outer 'shell' or cylindrical shaped piece is not included. The new part is substantially thicker than OEM, and machined from steel bar stock, unlike the thin OEM stamped steel part. HTH.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
you won't like what I am going to have to tell you.
There is no replacement for that upper tower, I stripped my front end and found the same thing. The only solution I found was to contact opels unlimited and order a replacement crossmember. The cross member used is $100.00 but I orderd mine in september and still don't have it. If it is any thing like the rack and pinoin I got from them it will be cherry. The wait is the only think that really sucks

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Just copy the unrusted one and fabricate it locally and weld it on.
A freindly fitter/welder is a great advantage - cultivate one from work or ask around any of the local clubs or Church you may belong to!

·
Opeler
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
appreciate the help

thanks bear; you are a more patient man than me. If it can't be bought, then I'm going to fabricate it. There is not much to the piece and I have a rust free one on the passenger side that's willing to model for me and my sketch pad. the rusted one was just too easy to remove (drilled out the weld just to the lower surface and then cleaned it up with a mini-grinder). I really blew it last year when I turned down a chance to buy a partially restored GT AND a parts car for $800.00. What hurts even more was that is CANADIAN dollars. The village where I live has a bylaw that doesn't allow households to have non-running vehicles in the backyard. Even stacking them, I wouldn't have been able to fit three GT's in my small garage.
Lonnie

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
That would have been and awsome deal. When I took the shock mounts off mine they had washers welded inthe middle of them the PO must have done a little home repair. Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you're not able to fabricate that part or just don't want to mess with it and decide to change the whole crossmember, I suggest checking out opeljunkyard.com. I got a crossmember from them a couple of months ago when I rebuilt my front end. They only charged me $15.00, and it was complete and in good shape. Of course it had some surface rust, but I bead blasted it and painted it. Looks like new.

Jim

·
Opeler
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately,,

thanks Jim,,, unfortunately I'm in the same boat as Keith Wilford and a few others,,, shipping costs are H U G E for large, heavy items to Canada. I'm leaning towards fabricating a piece and welding it on. If it looks like a good fit, I'll post the sketch and dimensions for anyone else who finds that they were a victim of a surprise rust attack.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,405 Posts
Purpose?

The OGTS part is the flat plate that the shock upper bushing goes through. The outer 'shell' or cylindrical shaped piece is not included. The new part is substantially thicker than OEM, and machined from steel bar stock, unlike the thin OEM stamped steel part. HTH.
Does anyone know what the purpose of the outer "shell" is? I looked at the one side of mine that has it, and I can't figure out what it's there for.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Important!

The tubular extension fits into a rubber sleeve that is clamped to the inner fender with a plate and two bolts. This is part of the front suspension mounting system and and important part of the mounting which stops the front cross member 'wiggling' about and shares to loads with the four big bolts that hold the suspension cross member to the frame under the chassis rails.

The picture in the post above shows what they look like.

The car needs those extensions!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts