Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Craig here
I need help in determining if the clutch I got and the the UR flywheel are Ok to install in my GT . The s10 clutch appears to be 1/8" larger than the Center/Black section of the flywheel. Is tis going to create a problem?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,886 Posts
Craig,

I noticed that you had posted this before, and on classicopels, but I didn't see a response. What exactly is the problem? Do you have an aluminum flywheel with an embedded steel friction surface? Is the S-10 driven disc (the fibre covered clutch disc) bigger in diameter than the friction plate (which is probably sized for the 8 inch Opel disc, rather than the 9 inch S-10 disc)? Maybe a photo or two would help.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UR flywheel /zoom clutch

Yes I posted on classicopels but didn't receive a reply - I'm sure it'sbecause are quite a few of us that have limited knowledge and depend on those that know this stuff inside out.
MY UR Aluminum Flywheel was part of the group purchase -it's the Chevy s-10/Opel conversion The Clutch flywheel is the zoom 1904-1 for an '85 v6 2.8, 2 barrel.
When I matched it up I noticed that the Black center of the Aluminum flywheel was 1/8" (approx) smaller than the clutch plate. & wamted to know if this is a concern?
Second when I went to get it balanced I didn't have bolts so I xcalled Chevy. They didn't have them either - but I found a local bolt guy that matched them up.
Third - I received a reply telling me that Pinto 2000/2300 bolts are used to bolt the whole assy to the engine - so I ordered those yesterday - They'll be in today.
It is my hope to get this done for Carlisle.
Thanks, Craig

·
648 Posts
Been using mine for over a year. No problems. I was very impressed with the quality of their work when I got it.
James

·
587 Posts
Like James, I'm very happy with this set up on my new 2.0 rebuild. I have about 500 miles on it. Add a 240 Getrag 5 speed to it all & you'll be really happy.

~ Tom C.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
UR Flywheel (S-10 version)

After installing the UR flywheel, I really enjoy the way my engine revs and the car accelerates at speed. No complaints at all with the UR product.

My only regret is that I did not install a longer clutch pivot bolt. The machinist/mechanic who had my car at the time was supposed to fabricate a longer bolt before installation. Unfortunately, after deciding on his own that there was plenty of bite left on the stock bolt, he put it together without performing the modification I asked for.

Now there is very little clutch adjustment to play with. Also, my clutch chatters quite a bit. This could be the throwout bearing, resulting from the short pivot arm... or maybe it's due to my semi-metallic clutch.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
crliwa, I'd check with a shop. To me, it sounds like the flywheel has a metal insert in an alum disk. A friction plate SHOULD NOT ride on the disk, only on the "hard" metal insert. Aluminum isn't good on friction. Heat and pressure, as in designed heads and blocks is ok (blocks have metal sleeves) You are right to question things, it's the best learning tool.

·
Opeler
15 Posts
I have read through this thread, and I was wondering what the specs (year/ vehicle, or part #'s) are for upgrading to the larger/lighter flywheel and clutch. I know :confused: that the s10 clutch is supposed to be used, but I went to Unorthadox Racing's website, and they don't have a listing. I don't have the cash to upgrade to the 5-spd yet, but my 2.0 L should be done soon, and I want to make sure that the power gets to the tranny without slippage.

thank you for any help

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Craig here - I have everything balanced and it is installed & seems to work fine - I'm out of town but will get the info on what I ordered to put it all together. By the way the UR flywheels are not an off the shelf item and I purchased mine through the group over a year ago.
Good Luck, Craig L.I.,N.Y.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts