Opel GT Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Opelnut
931 Posts
At this time, I have 9 of the air fresheners -ehhh- oil pan gaskets left over. If you want one, speak up now to get your's reserved.
You can have it shipped (see post # 103) or I will bring it to Charlotte.

Dieter
Requesting two
pm Sent

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,051 Posts
OK - they are suddenly going fast again...

Current inventory 9

John Lewis 2 (delivery in Charlotte)
John (jmbinjax) 2 (delivery in Charlotte)
Rick 2 (by mail)

Available inventory: 3

Dieter

·
1,284 Posts
Just realized I was put down for two(2) and never sent the money to you. If you still have I'll take them.

·
Opeler
869 Posts
At this time, I have 9 of the air fresheners -ehhh- oil pan gaskets left over. If you want one, speak up now to get your's reserved.
You can have it shipped (see post # 103) or I will bring it to Charlotte.

Dieter
Dieter:

I don't know if this includes the 2 I want. Please hold 2 for me and I'll get them in Charlotte.

Thanks!

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,051 Posts
Dieter:

I don't know if this includes the 2 I want. Please hold 2 for me and I'll get them in Charlotte.

Thanks!
John, you missed a newer post (122) - yes, you are included.

Updated meanwhile:

Current inventory 9

John Lewis 2 (delivery in Charlotte [QT to be precise :veryhappy])
Rick 2 (by mail)
Jerseydave 2 (by mail)
Parts auction in Charlotte (my contribution) 1

Available inventory: 0

Dieter

·
Registered
765 Posts
Don't let me forget

Dieter,

Just to put this down to remind me. I owe you $30. Thanks for the gasket.

Dan

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,051 Posts
Who else got any of these at the meeting last Saturday and still has to pay? Edwin got one and paid his, I'm pretty sure that Gene received two, at least one more got two of them...
Please mail your check unless we meet again next weekend. Address will be given by PM.

Dieter

·
Opeler
869 Posts
John, you missed a newer post (122) - yes, you are included.

Updated meanwhile:

Current inventory 9

John Lewis 2 (delivery in Charlotte [QT to be precise :veryhappy])
Rick 2 (by mail)
Jerseydave 2 (by mail)
Parts auction in Charlotte (my contribution) 1

Available inventory: 0

Dieter
OK, so now I'm blind as well as suffering from CRS syndrome.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,051 Posts
I received word that our friend and member Rainer Manthey is writing an article about reproduction parts, for his 2014 Manta Yearbook. For one specific part he is looking for user reviews, and this is the one-piece rubber CIH oil pan gasket which this thread is all about.
Please, whoever has one not just as a room refresher, but actually in a running Opel engine (which is excluding two TN members haha), please post your experience here. It might be positive or negative, but please keep it objective - thanks!

Dieter

·
Super Moderator
13,443 Posts
I have one installed, but also not fired yet.

My only notation was that I needed to trim one area of the pan rail section to fit into the timing cover recess. It kept popping out otherwise.

I can take some pics and post them later on.

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
I have one installed, but also not fired yet.

My only notation was that I needed to trim one area of the pan rail section to fit into the timing cover recess. It kept popping out otherwise.

I can take some pics and post them later on.
Interesting...I test fitted one on my son's '73 Manta engine today and it seemed to fit perfectly in the grooves of the timing cover and on the back near the rear seal. Where did it pop out that you had to trim it, Bob? I only held it in place briefly as I have to finish cleaning up the mounting surface. I notice the gaskets have a little extra material at the corners where you normally have to put a dab of sealant to prevent leaks...was that where it was popping out on you? Similar to what you recommended, I plan to use a light film of permatex gasket maker on it just to hold it in place (car is on a lift, and motor is still in car). It looks like it will snug up super tight when the pan goes on. I'll try to get some photos if I encounter similar issues to what you experienced.

One thing I did notice that might be of concern is that the thick square sections of the gaskets seem to be dry cracking. Perhaps not an issue once they're in place, but I'm not sure what kind of shelf life they have. Might not hurt to spray them down with lube and store them in a zip lock bag, etc. to keep them from drying out if you have no plans to use them in the short term.

Reactions: Gary

·
Opeler
3,670 Posts
I have now put 1200 miles with one-piece oil pan gasket. Unfortunately, my experience is not good at all. While the installation was easy, rubber the gasket is made of does not seal properly. I re-tightened oil pan bolts as the gasket settles a lot but it did not stop the leak. After leaving oil spots everywhere (my garage and the driveway, Allen's and Vickie's driveway, parking in front of the hotel in Carlisle), I am back to the old fashioned cork gasket. No more leak.

·
Opeler
869 Posts
Thanks for the update P.J. I had planned on using one of these on my next engine but now have second thoughts. I used Permatex Right Stuff last time and it work great. I don't think it's easy to take apart if necessary. I did learn you really have to load it up on the ends to fill the space from the rubber ends.

·
1,566 Posts
I installed one on Edwin's engine and it is not leaking and was easy to install. He used a Manta Alum. oil pan and we sealed the ends with GM engine sealer and no sealer only spray tack on block side to hold gasket and car has 500+ miles on new engine.
I have one installed on Lance's engine with Alum. GT oil pan and one for Gene's engine with a Manta steel oil pan. I will report if problems.
John L.

·
Opel Key Master
5,000 Posts
I've installed a couple of these now, and the results have been good. Of course might ask Matt as he has one on his engine, don't know if it has developed any leaks or not. A retorque may be required, I then to use 3M Super Weatherstrip adhesive when dealing with a solid rubber gasket.

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
Rubber Gasket Sealer and Dressing

Maybe this product would help with some of the issues associated with the newer style one piece gasket.
Formulated specially for rubber gaskets, it conditions gaskets for longer life and seals potential leak paths. It also functions to hold gaskets in place during installation. The non-hardening, soft-setting formula makes gasket repositioning quick and easy. Provides outstanding oil and fluid resistance. Temperature range -65°F to 400°F (-54°C to 204°C). - See more at: Gasket Sealants : Permatex® Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant & Dressing
Harold

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,246 Posts
I'm thinking that Harold posted that just for me. Here's the deal: We used the one piece oil pan gasket on my 2.4, black permatiex sealant, very lightly tightened bolts, and the car has been running for a maximum of 4 hours in the driveway and 2 quick trips through the neighborhood. The gasket held perfectly and didn't leak a drop. I had to drop the pan to fix something. The gasket is still stuck to the engine and there's almost no oil on the gasket surface for the oil pan. My question is:

Do you guys think I can just bolt the oil pan back on without adding additional sealer and doing anything other than cleaning what's exposed with, say, contact cleaner?

Or do I need to redo and scrape everything clean all over again and more sealer and/or replace the entire gasket? Gil is out of those gaskets at this present time.

Or use the product Harold mentioned or something else, like copper spray or something?

:thinking:

121 - 140 of 149 Posts