Opel GT Forum banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,023 Posts
My advice.. Reuse the gasket.

Two reasons.

1) you modified your cross member so replacing the gasket is an easy job.
2) Just an observation is that the one piece gasket appears to work well with steel oil pans but is hit and miss with aluminum pans.

Your pan is steel, your gasket is "new" and you have quick access, just in case.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,456 Posts
My advice.. Reuse the gasket.

Two reasons.

1) you modified your cross member so replacing the gasket is an easy job.
2) Just an observation is that the one piece gasket appears to work well with steel oil pans but is hit and miss with aluminum pans.

Your pan is steel, your gasket is "new" and you have quick access, just in case.
Also it hasnt been used for long at all... so no extended heat, etc.. Also I glued to the block but not oil pan specficially so you could just put it back on. IF there was any place RTV or the gasket ripped yes, touch those areas up. Otherwise just put it back on.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,496 Posts
Okay, I took y'all's advice and just put it back on. I buttered the pan with a thin skin of sealant and also dabbed at the stray drips of oil on the gasket, then hit it with the contact cleaner. Once it all looked nice and dry on that gasket I put the pan on. Tomorrow I'll fill with oil(cheap stuff that I'll only run for an hour or so), put a new filter on, run it for a while, and see if the oil stays put. At some point very soon I'll do a draining, another new filter, and fill back up with decent oil and zddp.

:veryhappy

·
Registered
812 Posts
Why not post this question again. It looks like after skimming through this thread that aluminum pans are somewhat of a gamble. I think that’s what I have. If someone can post their experience with the single piece gasket I’d like to hear. What do most of the Opeler’s use, single or 4 piece? Just peoples experience please, I’m not looking to harm any sales of either one. Right now I’m leaning towards the 4 piece.

·
Opeler
884 Posts
I’ve had experience with two different two-piece oil pan gaskets.

The first was all rubber and no rigidity to it. It was technically a four-piece gasket joined together. A little bit of care needed to taken to trim up the corners to be sure they fit into the grooves.

The second was from OGTS and a true one-piece gasket with rails being rigid as if metal was sandwiched between the rubber. It fit perfect.

On both of them I covered them with a Permatex product designed for coating rubber gaskets (I think Harold mentioned this product in another thread). This prevents oil or other fluids from wicking through. And, with both I used a little sealant at the corners and no other place.

Both worked great for me with no leaks. The second one mentioned is still installed.

For anyone using the Permatex product, be sure to wear latex gloves, it makes a mess and be sure not to touch anything other than the gasket. And, it took much longer than the recommended 15 minutes to get tacky per the instructions. On the second gasket I let it sit overnight.

Ps. I don’t believe in “just marker her spot”

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
In the past I've used a two rail crankshaft scrapper along with the four piece with a custom deep sump aluminum pan.

·
Über Genius
9,023 Posts
I built my engine with a one piece from a group buy. I bought four gaskets.
Another from that set went onto my son's identical build.

My son's doesn't leak at all.
Mine leaked from the get go.

BOTH were installed the same way with trimming in the corners and some red RTV in the corners.
We both have aluminum oil pans but I think one of us has the finned pan and the other doesn't.

I decided to refresh my engine after 5000 miles and ditched the one piece gasket. I now have a four piece on mine that doesn't leak.

I built my 2.2 and used a steel pan and a four piece. I still haven't started it but trust the four piece more than the one piece from the group buy.

I still have two more one-piece gaskets in my collection. I may use them someday. Who knows.

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
I’ve had experience with two different two-piece oil pan gaskets.

The first was all rubber and no rigidity to it. It was technically a four-piece gasket joined together. A little bit of care needed to taken to trim up the corners to be sure they fit into the grooves.

The second was from OGTS and a true one-piece gasket with rails being rigid as if metal was sandwiched between the rubber. It fit perfect.

On both of them I covered them with a Permatex product designed for coating rubber gaskets (I think Harold mentioned this product in another thread). This prevents oil or other fluids from wicking through. And, with both I used a little sealant at the corners and no other place.

Both worked great for me with no leaks. The second one mentioned is still installed.

For anyone using the Permatex product, be sure to wear latex gloves, it makes a mess and be sure not to touch anything other than the gasket. And, it took much longer than the recommended 15 minutes to get tacky per the instructions. On the second gasket I let it sit overnight.

Ps. I don’t believe in “just marker her spot”
The one piece gasket states on their website for steel oil pans only? Anyone know why? I’ve been using them now on aluminum pans, but cannot recall if I have run one or not. I think a Houston car that left recently had one installed with an AL pan. I figure the design is the same? Any thoughts

141 - 149 of 149 Posts