Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Opeler
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a small XM radio in "stealth" mode up front with the rest of the stuff behind the spare tire flap. When I tried to plug the little transmitter thing into the cigarette lighter I got no power. Looks like it is a different configuration than the outlets in cars today. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get this to work? It's a great location for what I need to do, has the built in transmitter and everything I need if I could just get power from that &#@! lighter outlet.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Get an aftermarket unit from a parts store and fit it in the same spot. Run power to it from the ignition side and you're ready

·
Opeler
20 Posts
cigarette lighter

I had the same problem with a electric defroster the plug is smaller than the lighter hole I ended up just wraping the plug with tin foil

·
Opeler
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BQS4 said:
Get an aftermarket unit from a parts store and fit it in the same spot. Run power to it from the ignition side and you're ready
Any way to do this without taking off the dash?

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
if you want it mounted in the dash, yes, the dash has to be removed. If you want to forgo undoing the dash, you can wire a new cig lighter in and make a bracket fit to hang just under the dash.
Gene

·
427 Posts
Check around at the different auto parts stores or Radio Shack. I remember years ago I installed one for a similar purpose and was able to find one that came with an underdash mount. If you end up wanting to mount it in the original lighter spot it is quite easy to do, the pieces screw apart and can fit into the original slot. Taking the intrument panel off isnt as hard a task as it might seem if you have never done it before. There are a few different threads on here as to how to go about it.
HTH,
Brett

·
Opeler
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. All great ideas. I took the dash off about 3 years ago and managed to get it back on without any electrical problems :) So I don't think I want to do that so will probably go with the external mount idea.

·
88 Posts
backwards?

I had a similar ptoblem with an accessory and my lighter - lighter works but accessory didnt. I took the console apart and found that the wires in the lighter were connected backwards. With DC this doesnt work well!

After swapping the connections all was fine. I'll also note that this was an automatic and that it had another symptom - the 'courtesy light' in the lighter hole was always on UNTIL I turned the dash lights on, then it would turn off. I had always wondered why Opel would think I needed the light in the lighter only when the headlights and dash lights were off!

·
Registered
616 Posts
if the cigarette lighter plug doesn't have a some sort of power converting built into it, then you could just chop it off and wire it right into the fuse box, just find which fuse has a constant +12V, accessory, or ignition depending on what you want to run in on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts