Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeking opinions on this. Today I had the old tires taken off of the Corvette C4-copy wheels I have, so that I could have them polished up a bit and put new tires on them. Gosh they look good and still have the 1989 labels on the inside. But they could use a little TLC on the outside. Two wheels are almost perfect and really don't need anything, one wheel has some fogging remaining due to a polishing attempt by the PO, and the 4th wheel needs creeping corrosion and some nicks dealt with. The Mr. Tire shop said they have a place that fixes up wheels and they want TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS A WHEEL. Holy Bejeesus! That's more than all 4 wheels are worth. The guy seemed to be talking straight with me and I believed him when I asked if that was the going price for wheel refinishing around here and he said yeah that's about the average. I ain't paying $1000 to polish up some wheels I only sort of like.
So, the thought occurs to me to put the wheels on the right side of my rear axle, jack up and start the car, put it in Drive, and try to sand/polish the imperfections out. The final step would involve polishing compound and I would have to make sure to wrap the car everywhere to stop the compound from spewing all over the car. Any ideas or advice?

·
1,634 Posts
Go for it... and no loose clothing. Beers afterwards.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Opel Key Master
5,136 Posts
First off you need to strip the clear coat off the wheels, that is why the one is foggy from polishing more than likely. Those wheels look more like they are a diamond cut finish instead of a fully polished, but I cannot tell. Being that most of them is fairly flat, you could probably do them with a hand buffer, but you will need to re clear coat them when done, or use a wheel sealant like Zoop Seal or something like that

·
Registered
27 Posts
Use polishing brushes and or sponges, nothing untearable that can catch and wind you in. Even shop tissue is strong in a wad. The stop option is out of reach unless you have an able assistant or reach like Apollo Creed.
As with Witness above, I speak from experience of a long rehabilitation

·
Opeler
1,463 Posts
Last time that I had my AMG wheels refurbished (3-4 years ago), it was about $100 per wheel, but they are painted and clear coated, not polished. He repaired the curb rash, sanded, painted and clear coated them right in his portable, enclosed trailer shop that he brings with him. Looked like new when he was finished!
He mostly does repair work for dealerships and they usually bill you at double his rate if you have it done through them. If you have a lot of nicks, gouges or deep pitting, painting may be preferable to polishing and it looks really sharp.

·
Opeler
576 Posts
Hey Gordo, please get your neighbor or a fried to video this rear axle lathe action. We want to see the fun afterwards.

P.S. Please be safe!

·
Über Genius
9,258 Posts
Will be a helluva workout on your spider gears.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,220 Posts
Use the washer/dryer instead :D:eek::unsure:

Dieter

·
Detritus Maximus
2,584 Posts
Check that axle flange run out first!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha! Ha! Yuk! Yuk!

First off you need to strip the clear coat off the wheels, that is why the one is foggy from polishing more than likely. Those wheels look more like they are a diamond cut finish instead of a fully polished, but I cannot tell. Being that most of them is fairly flat, you could probably do them with a hand buffer, but you will need to re clear coat them when done, or use a wheel sealant like Zoop Seal or something like that
Yeah, there's a clear coat. That's why there is "creeping corrosion" on one of them. The clear coat was damaged at some sharp edges and oxygen is getting under the clear coat and slowly corroding and pushing up the clear coat allowing more corrosion to happen. The base wheels are diamond cut and the center caps are aluminum sheet metal that have been stamped and folded over a plastic base with a brushed finish.

I will call/visit some other local wheel refinishers to see if I can get the price down to $100-$125 a wheel and just try to get the 2 funky wheels fixed up. There's no hurry on this, the car won't be running until maybe the end of this year or later.

Thanks for the advice and jokes!

:)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Considered color wheels? Average in my area to strip and powdercoat wheels is $75 each.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I was thinking along this line.
You get some riding in while you work. Rotate the upper part 90 degrees so the wheel is spinning in front of you. Add a flywheel, etc. You know what to do and it will keep you busy while the car is blasted.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sometimes I just think you are trying to think of new and inventive ways to get a Darwin award.
Holy Cow Baz! Nice to hear from you! I haven't seen you post for a long time. How are you doing these days?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts