Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Don't know if it's the same process, but Ryan did some spray on chrome on an episode of Counting Cars.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
They used the Cosmichrome process, which apparently is a silver nitrate based paint.

This is really interesting. If these kinds of products have reasonable durability, I might entertain the thought of having all my engine compartment chromables done with the stuff and see how it goes. It's all about the price, engine heat resistance, and durability. Right now I'm looking at $800-$1000 worth of chroming that I need done to cowling screen, wiper cover, brake booster support and rod, steering shaft, hood hinges, etc. If they could do all those items in one lot for, say, $500, I might take the bait. Heck, I could have the front and rear suspensions done. I'm not impressed with powdercoating the under the car stuff. The items that I've had done are chipping from road gravel and such, which leaves bare metal to start rusting.

·
Registered
434 Posts
They used the Cosmichrome process, which apparently is a silver nitrate based paint.

This is really interesting. If these kinds of products have reasonable durability, I might entertain the thought of having all my engine compartment chromables done with the stuff and see how it goes. It's all about the price, engine heat resistance, and durability. Right now I'm looking at $800-$1000 worth of chroming that I need done to cowling screen, wiper cover, brake booster support and rod, steering shaft, hood hinges, etc. If they could do all those items in one lot for, say, $500, I might take the bait. Heck, I could have the front and rear suspensions done. I'm not impressed with powdercoating the under the car stuff. The items that I've had done are chipping from road gravel and such, which leaves bare metal to start rusting.
cosmichrome sounds really interesting, I watched a video and it looks great - however there seems to be a real lack of locations that actually offer the service. When I did a google search for, Cosmichrome near me, I got one in Charleston which was something else and one in Canada. Also saw one in NY state and one in UK.??????
I also just watched a spray on chrome kit video, chrome solutions video from 2012 spray bottles and it looks like just like chrome - Hydro Chrome - but like the above little retail available - found some in the UK. There seems to be a lot of them but nothing I could find to purchase or somewhere to take my parts to. Going to give it another go tomorrow to see what I can find. I did find a kwicksilver place near by but he said they only do wheels....

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah, Cosmichrome's website seems primarily concerned with setting up franchises. They want to sell you two application systems, large and small. That's going to hold back their growth. I've seen pseudo-chrome applications before, like on a GT windshield washer bottle, but they were sensitive to heat and would get a rainbow degradation effect. I've had to send all my chroming work from New Jersey to Tennessee and then wait 3-4 months to get it back, so I'm no stranger to sending stuff out for chroming.

I'm waiting to hear back from Kwicksilver.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had approx 100 bronze/copper and stainless boat deck fittings PVD coated back in 2016 and they still look as good as they did on day one even though they're exposed to the harsher marine environment. As with electro plating, as long as the base metal surface is clean and without impurities the finish will be good and long lasting. The only thing was we had to get all the non stainless bits chromed first before they could do the PVD. Not sure if this would also apply to mag alloy wheels but I would suspect it would be. Not sure about pricing over there in the USA but it was a pricey operation over here in 2016.

Just added the fact sheet from 2016..alum needs chroming or nickel first.

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good info. Gosh, chrome the wheels first so that a fake chrome coating could be put on? Seems a little silly. I'll wait for feedback from the Kwicksilver guy.....if he gets back to me. Just like with the mobile blaster guys, these mobile outfits don't seem to stay in business for long. These ARE 30 year old wheels and the inner part of the wheels are all nasty with corrosion.

I may have to default back to simply having one or two fixed up. Or have them blasted and powdercoated yellow. Or have them painted yellow.

I DO have a 35 year history of yellow wheels on my GT's.......

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had approx 100 bronze/copper and stainless boat deck fittings PVD coated back in 2016 and they still look as good as they did on day one even though they're exposed to the harsher marine environment. As with electro plating, as long as the base metal surface is clean and without impurities the finish will be good and long lasting. The only thing was we had to get all the non stainless bits chromed first before they could do the PVD. Not sure if this would also apply to mag alloy wheels but I would suspect it would be. Not sure about pricing over there in the USA but it was a pricey operation over here in 2016.
Good info. Gosh, chrome the wheels first so that a fake chrome coating could be put on? Seems a little silly. I'll wait for feedback from the Kwicksilver guy.....if he gets back to me. Just like with the mobile blaster guys, these mobile outfits don't seem to stay in business for long. These ARE 30 year old wheels and the inner part of the wheels are all nasty with corrosion.

I may have to default back to simply having one or two fixed up. Or have them blasted and powdercoated yellow. Or have them painted yellow.

View attachment 432334 View attachment 432335 View attachment 432336 View attachment 432337 View attachment 432338
Great photos and looking good in yellow!
Yeah, would be a waste of time and money unless the scars of the past can be removed back to a good surface. I must say though if the base surface is good, PVD is the golden option as far as durability and look goes but it would put a serious dent in your bank account.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
You could build a friction drive with nearly any electric motor to spin the wheel on the rear of a front wheel drive car.
Say a lawn mower solid rubber wheel to spin the mounted wheel.
A simple foot control to handle the speed of the electric motor.
Done right? if you did get snatched up the foot control acts as a deadman's switch.

And I did get lucky and my fingers were reattached and work nearly perfectly.

·
Registered
434 Posts

View attachment 432334 View attachment 432335 View attachment 432336 View attachment 432337 View attachment 432338
So wanted to get your personal opinion, I know you like yellow so you may be a bit bias, however look at the attached picture and tell me what you would think of the center spokes painted Chartreuse - not thinking about the entire wheel as I really like the chrome, which I plan to strip the clear coat and re-polish in the not to distant future. Take a look at this wheel and think about my Chartreuse car with matching Chartreuse wheel spokes.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Those wheels look almost like the ESM wheels I and others have.
I can say they are not the ESM wheels since the count on fake spoke placement is not 17
Nice wheels non the less. Just to much chrome for me.
I like a broken look like this.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So wanted to get your personal opinion, I know you like yellow so you may be a bit bias, however look at the attached picture and tell me what you would think of the center spokes painted Chartreuse - not thinking about the entire wheel as I really like the chrome, which I plan to strip the clear coat and re-polish in the not to distant future. Take a look at this wheel and think about my Chartreuse car with matching Chartreuse wheel spokes.
View attachment 432340
Yeah, they're a little plain looking, not having been polished to a chromy luster. Yeah, go for it. I would not suggest you paint them yourself, I've tried that and it doesn't hold up. Take them to Maaco or somewhere and have them painted true Opel Chartreuse. Body shop paint and primer has hardeners and sunscreen elements in the paint that make their paint far more durable. I also think that a band of chartreuse on the flat ring just outside the spokes would make them pop nicely. Or sell those wheels and buy some spiffy new ones, like Witness showed. Your wheels should fetch a nice price on Facebook or Ebay to help offset the price of new ones. There's nothing like a nice new set of sparkly new wheels to freshen up your ride. :)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I got 2 messages from Kwicksilver, one from the local guy who fixes up blemished wheels and one from the main company in regards to PVD chroming. Apparently, all PVD treatments are done at their central location in Michigan. In regards to my wheels, I'll probably need clear coat stripping and blemish repair on one wheel. Or maybe no blemish repair. I'm guessing that removal of clear coat is what they refer to as "PVD stripping". I've sent pics to my local guy and am awaiting his quote on simple wheel fix up. Here's the quote about the PVD process:

<<<
Gordan,

Our PVD chroming warehouse is in Michigan, so your wheels need to be shipped there. Adrienne will provide you with packaging and shipping details.

Here is your quote.

PVD Strip: $40 per rim (if necessary)
Curbrash repair: $30 per rim (if necessary)
PVD Coating: $150 per rim (Bright or Black)
Return shipping from Michigan ~ $35-$60 per rim, depending on your location.

Turnaround is ~5 days strip and ~5 days coat.

Please contact me if you want to move forward.

Best,
Jeff Smith
619-917-1067
[email protected] >>>

So, it looks to me that getting all 4 wheels done with the PVD chromy coating and stripping would cost $150+$40 per wheel and I would have to pay, let's say $40 per wheel, shipping each way($40+$40=$80 per wheel), so $270 per wheel, maybe $230 per wheel if stripping isn't necessary. That would be roughly $1000 to have all 4 wheels done.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Your not going to avoid the $160 to strip the wheels.
Maybe you could do it yourself but that will cost you and then how to you get rid of the toxics?

I do know shipping for my new wheels was less then $40 for 2 wheels.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Watched a video on that yesterday - the guy used aircraft stripper available at your local auto supply and it looked fairly easy on the clear coat removal, for painted wheels from the factory not so easy. I am not saying that it would be that pleasant, really good gloves, fresh air, the right tools, etc. There is a lot of information on YouTube and to just strip and refinish aluminum wheels does not look that difficult to do especially for people like us that have time on our hands, covid time. Once stripped, depending on the condition, they talked about 1000 grit sand paper then a lot of polishing buffing that can be done with a drill or similar tool. I am looking into stripping and polishing my as well - recently motivated....Gordon if I were you I would consider doing it myself. Watch some of the videos and I think you will agree. I was at Kwicksilver yesterday about having my snorkel assembly powder coated and that is when I found out that the chroming is only done off site. The chrome looks pretty good if that is the route you want to go but got to tell you, sure you already know that aluminum cleaned and buffed can look just about as good. I think you said your wheels were aluminum. Best, Carl

·
Über Genius
9,241 Posts
I just had an idea.

I have an old differential that's going to scrap.
If I cut off the bearing end of the differential, And cut an axle long enough to connect a pulley to it (and clear the rim) I could add a pulley to the axle piece, add an old treadmill motor and ~voila~ a turntable for polishing rims.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
A new home business for you! Think of the money! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! Finally all those GT's of yours will start paying off!

Yuk! Yuk!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts