Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested or just curious, Thanks to Gary, I've been able to upload the first 4 Phases of my GM 3.4 V-6/T-5 Tranny in the Artcles section under Mechanical/Engine Swap forum. I wish I could have loaded more pics, but had to choose the most appropriate for the article. Phase V is in progress and when it's done I can finish up with III and IV and start putting it all back together when the POR-15 paint gets applied and dried. Maybe, Just maybe it'll be ready for OMC. :D

Ron

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Sure can't wait to see your GT in a sunlit, by-the-beach picture, Ron. Dreams by a beach! Ah, what fond memories (except for cruises in between the beaches :p ).
Barry

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, after a lot of delays, relatives visiting, dog shows and most important losing one of my best buds, CH. Seacrest's Gray Storm, (you can see him at elkhound.net), I finally got Phase V, the exhaust system manifolds completed. For the story and some pics of the fun and games involved, check out the Articles - Mechanical - Engine Swaps. Critiques as always either good or bad are welcome. :cool:

Ron

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Willit? Update

I was thinking about calling the project V-6 the "Silver Streak" or "Silver Bullet"., because everyone has a name for their cars, "nobody" has "Thumper", and there's "Celeste" and Saxy Biker has a bunch of her cars named. But I asked Margaret what she thought would be a good name and her reply was "Willit....", I asked her will it what? and she just shrugged her shoulders, so, that's what it will be called. Anyway enough of the ramblings, I got a couple of weeks free of dog shows and can get back on the GT again. Attached are some pics of what I did today so far, the rear-end is back out, and the rear underside has been sprayed with "Marine Clean" forward to the tranny, then hammered with my 1100 psi "K'Archer" vapor blaster. It's interesting the undercoating is applied in areas that were cut for the AC system and other areas that someone thought would be prone to rusting. After a treatment of "Metal Ready" the rear bottom will be sprayed with POR-15 Silver to match the rear interior. Then I can do the little things to premanently install the rear-end, fuel tank, and package shelf. Then finish up building the heat shield template for the driver's side exhaust and get that tack-welded in so I can pull the engine/tranny and front end. Then close up the holes I cut and finish painting the interior engine compartment and the rest of the bottom of the car, run the fuel lines and brake lines. Ahhh, the fun is starting again

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
"Willit" is a one of a kind name, for sure. Wives have a way of, sometimes, of putting a simple comment to a complicated spousal project! ;) . That's a interesting scoop on your hood, Ron. Still can't wait to see it with a ocean sunset!
Barry

·
Registered
214 Posts
My Condolences With Your Loss

Count yourself lucky.
Not everyone is as fortunate to know unconditional love, be strong enough to accept the responsibility that love brings, and return the gift in kind.
Here's hoping your parting went well, and that Gray Storm had a "good" and noble death.
I am sure your friend Gray Storm is patiently waiting... anticipating the day when he will be there for you again.

Your V-6 swap makes me wonder why I'm not trying it myself. That GT is gonna be spooky when it's done.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Willit? Update

Scott, thank you for the kind words of Stormy. Margaret and I both feel all of our dogs that have crossed over the "Rainbow Bridge" will be waiting for us. I hope the GT doesn't turn out to be spooky, just a bit quicker than it was stock, by a bunch. This is not a weekend project by any means, more like a year type project, I could have done it a lot faster if.... But that's some more stories.

Barry, The hood is a "Lenk Tuning" item from OGTS for around $300. It was one of the first things I got for this mod. It will be set up for a cold ram air intake setup, once I get the bugs worked out on how to do it and still seal the engine compartment. I've got ideas, but still nothing on paper yet. Just for you, a pic on the beach with a sunset in the background will be done, when it's finished. I got the rear bottom painted today, the rear wheel/fender wells I'll get tomorrow, I hope, if I can get the gas tank and associated brackets in. I found the donut in the torque tube was trashed by UV exposure, so a new one is on order. That's a bummer too, because I think it was put in new when the diff was rebuilt with the posi. Oh well.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts