Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camero 3.4L V6 conversion is complete!!!!! I trailered her back home today and I don't know how to express my joy other than to say I have perminent wood at the moment!! and for those who are interested in this type of conversion, you better have patientience and MONEY! Although the person who put my engine in did it more for the challenge then the money. For those of you wondering how much it cost lets just say around 2500.00 and I'm sure you could take an add another 1000.00 if someone you don't know does it.
Oh for those who are wondering why I trailered her home. I still have the next phase of my project GT to complete and that is putting all the interior back with a few modifications, Fiero bucket seats and power windows! I still have a feeling that she wont be ready for the road until this summer but at least the hardest part is done. Now I can work on her little by little. Well thanks for reading this, I just had to tell someone since my buddy is deployed overseas and the wife just doesn't realize what having my Opel back means!!
I will try and get some pics loaded to me the engine and transmisson look like it was made for the car.

·
Opeler
89 Posts
congrats on finishing conversion - still on mine

still working on my conversion, it's taking some time as I'm doing it all myself. What transmission did you use? I have a 4-speed s10 tranny with integral bellhousing I thought I was using, but from what I've heard that won't work.

What are you using for the clutch / flywheel?

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tranny

I used a 1988 Chevy S-10 T-5 tranny. It uses a Hydrualic Clutch. It wasn't my first choice though. I was originally going to use an 1987 because you can use your exsiting clutch cable but that was all they had at the time. As for the flywheel I got lucky and found one that matched the size of the Chevy Camero one but wasn't as thick. The wrecking yard couldn't tell me what year it was or what vehicle it came out of so I can't help you there.

·
179 Posts
Is that $2500 for the engine and the labor for the swap??? What was the breakout for the engine, tranny, and install?

I am planning on this same swap next year and the $2500 seems steep... If that was just the labor that sounds nuts. I can source a 3.4 for $1500 complete with tranny and wiring. To my understanding there is only minor body work to the firewall needed and custom motor mounts. I will do the body work and a local tooling shop will do the motor mount for $100. Where did your money go? (a question we all ask)

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
v6 costs

Okay Husker I will try and break this down because there are allot of cost that you might not count on or you might already have the parts at hand. I'm sure you will see what I mean when I said this guy did it more for the challange then the money.

At the wrecking yard I purchased:
Motor, tranny, wiring harness, alternator, starter, and flywheel for 1200.00

Firewall mod I did myself

Here's what I paid for installation and parts that includes him making the motor mount.

surface flywheel 20.00
tubing 5.00
idler pully 15.85
modified alternator bracket 30.00
tranny mount 14.38
Radiator 4 core 150.00
wire loom 6.00
fittings 3.50
misc. wire 10.98
upper radiator hose 15.73
fuse block 26.77
Belt 25.70
dual exhaust with mufflers 160.00
oil 6.00
filter 4.59
misc. peices 7.00
anti-freeze 6.90
clutch master cyliner 72.09
master to slave hose 27.35
plugs 8.30
wires 18.14
Drive shaft was basically made 194.07
led light 2.19
Thats give you a total for parts 830.95
labor 400.00
total 1230.95

oh yeah almost forgot you have to purchase fiero exhaust manifolds 100.00
Grand total 2530.95
Adds up quick don't it
but just like the master card commercial PRICELESS!!!!

Have fun with yours Husker
Oh buy they way can someone tell me the easiest way to put all my interior back in its been so long since I took it all out :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Engine conversion

I'm new to the forum, but have been doing research for several months on my proposed GT project. I want to swap the 1.9L for a more dependable (and powerful) engine. The 3.4L GM seems a little large (I think the heavier engines will really lighten the rear end and cause potential fishtail problems); I've heard that the 3.1L (from a Camaro or Fiero) matched up w/ the S-10 T-5 trans works well, I've heard the same about the 2.8L GM and the 2.3L Ford (though that little four banger seems too small for my tastes- something about using a Pinto engine....). What do you guys think?

BTW, congrats on completing your conversion!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
If your worried about the 2.3 ford not having enough power, get the turbo version. it came in the thunderbird turbo coupe, the mustang SVO, and the merkur xr4ti. these engines put out between 150-190 hp stock, and can active up to 225 hp by just turning up the boost.

I am in the middle of a 2.3L turbo conversion now. and have asked and given advice in this thread http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=773 I am using the t-5 trans, and the ford 8.8 rear, which comes with a posi and discs!

I recommend the swap, but only if you are comfortable around metal working tools, and should really have your own. It could go it fairly easy, but I am trying to push it as far back into the engine bay as possible for weight reasons. but you have to use a rear end other than stock with all of the swaps, unless you just don't like to have fun with your new toy.

good luck,

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
yeah, i saw that post by rb as well. but after doing a little more research i found that the 2.3L turbo ford weighs between 325-375, maybe less than the v-6 @ 375, but still about 100 more than the stock opel engine.

the t-5 trans is alot bigger and heavier, but it is the middle of the car. and the ford 8.8 rear is heavier than the opel stock, so maybe the balance will work out.

i was absolutely blown away by just how quick the stock thunderbird turbo was. i drove it around for a couple of weeks because it was so fun, and that car weighs 3600 lbs! you can pick one up all day long for under $1000 complete in running condition.

just my .02

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
jon.haas said:
i was absolutely blown away by just how quick the stock thunderbird turbo was.
Not only quick, but also fast. I recall Car and Driver magazine years ago did a road test on one, and it surprised them too. They got 144 mph out of it! Pretty damn good for a fairly large car with a 4-cylinder!

On another note, have you decided what you're gonna do about the turbo Ford's notorious turbo lag? At the drags, this won't hurt you much, but it's a killer on the autocross portion of the test. I was thinking it might benefit you to have another junkyard turbocharger laying around (if it's under your $2003 budget allowment), and swap turbos for the drag/autocross portions. Use a similarly sized T3 turbo from a Saab or Chrysler or whatever...they have a smaller .48 A/R compared to the Ford's .60 AR, and will spool a lot faster. Just a thought. We're gonna run an anti-lag system on our 2004 GRM project Manta...but those systems are VERY harsh on the turbo and exhaust system because of the heat generated.

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
The center section of the 8.8 is cast iron (like the Opel), but the axle tubes are steel (again like the Opel). Assuming you're only going to weld to the axle tubes, the 8.8 will work fine.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
2.3L turbo

Thanks for the advice, and I'll follow up on your other thread. I would think that if the 2.3L can meet my target range (about 200 HP), it should be readily available and relatively inexpensive- both a plus! Not to mention, it will hopefully leave some knuckle room in the engine compartment...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts