Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opeler
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given two Opel GTs. A 1973 and a 1974 to put together into one and i was just curious if I'd be able to fit a V6 engine in an Opel GT, like a small 3.1L V6 or something.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Try looking for ...

Put - Willit - in the search box that drops down from the top menu line when you click on search. You will get a number of posts & threads about Ron's GT called "Willit?" - for Will it fit! A great history of fitting a 3.4 Chevy 60-degree V6 into a GT. The thread you are looking for is "Willit? Update".

HTH

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I guess I should respond to this since Jim used my name in vain? about my Willit? project. Yes indeed, the GM 60 degree V-6 will fit in a GT with some mods to the driver's side footwell and the wiper well. You will also have to custom build an engine crossmember and tranny mount, and find a different gas pedal setup, I'm still working on that one. Oh yeah, and build custom exhaust manifolds, alternator brackets, shorten the driveshaft if you go with a T-5 tranny, and get a cable X box to drive the speedo, along with a whole bunch of bits and pieces to put it all together. For sure you'll need the DESTEC wiring schematic for the GT and all the manuals you can find for the engine your putting in, especially for the wiring harnesses for the engine computer so you can integrate the engine to the GT. If you try to put in a coil, distributor/carbed engine, you're in for a bigger hassle, because the distributor is going to be up against the firewall. You can use the GT radiator, but it needs to be recored to a 3-row and you'll need a 14" Perma-Cool high performance radiator cooling fan. I could go on and on, but yes the GM 60 degree V-6 will fit, nicely, if it's the right one. HTH.

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
carcrazed6573 said:
I was given two Opel GTs. A 1973 and a 1974 to put together into one and i was just curious if I'd be able to fit a V6 engine in an Opel GT, like a small 3.1L V6 or something.
No such thing as a 74 GT, except when a '73 has been registered a bit later.

Anyway, I moved this to the Engine Swap Forum where there are LOTS of ideas and answers...

·
Opeler
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh alright. See ive just been starting to get into Opels and when my uncle said i could have them he said he thought it was a 73 and 74. He was sure the one was a 73 so the other must be a 72

1 - 7 of 7 Posts