Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about the 60 degree V6 swap into the Opel GT. I got a free 2.8L and I plan to put it into my Opel. I want to use a T5 tranny from an S10. Any swap info would help greatly in making it go faster. Thanks.

·
Riding Low
65 Posts
v-6 opel

just posting to let 307GT know that i was going to do a 2.8 swap,,,,but am going to do a turbo 2.0l opel motor,,,,well just saying that i have a edelbrock torker 2 intake that fits the 60 deg. v-6 and takes a 4-bbl carb or 2-bbl. and a set of exhaust headers from a fiero,,, i would sell for cheap,,,,o, the t-5 will work,with the uses of an automatic crossmember from another gt,,,,if intrested just look me up in the members section and email me,,,,,,,
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the middle of the same swap.
I got my info from opel association of north america. On their tech page.
The hardest part was to cut a hole in my Opel
You will have to mount the T5 in the automatic tranny mount. Thats the 2 holes a few inches behind the manual tranny mount.
I used one inch square x 1/8 chanel to make the mount.
Is your engine from a front wheel drive?

·
Registered
6 Posts
engine swap

Thanks for the links to the pictures. I'm concerned with the amount of space available in the engine compartment after placing a larger engine in. I want to replace the 1.9L because I want something more dependable/reliable, easier to get parts for and repair, and more powerful. The last thing I want to do is have an engine that I can't get to because it's crammed in too tight. What is the experience out there on this?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
other organ doners

The easiest of the 2.8 chevy v-6 family engines to put into the Opel may not actually be in anything made by GM. One option I'm persuing heavily is the drivetrain from a 2.8 Isuzu Amigo 2WD. The oil pan is much better set-up, the transmission is almost an easier fit, the TBI system is TONS more compact, the exhaust manifolds will already work, and it is the same old GM 2.8 litre motor. The icing on the cake is the fact that I got a whole Trooper with 20k miles on a new GM Goodwrench crate enngine for $100 (very rusty). The Amigo trans is another $75, and the whole works shouldn't be much more than another $500 or so for mounts, exhaust, fuel line, hydraulic clutch pedal, driveshaft, and the gas tank mods if I do thefabricating myself.

These motors are out there in a lot of vehicles, and it certainly pays to keep you eyes open.

·
Riding Low
65 Posts
opel v6

i think that the differance in the 2 is that the torker 2 is the high and the peformer is the low..the upper carb piece just bolts on,,..i got that 2.8 intake off ebay about a year or 2...:confused:

·
Riding Low
65 Posts
i took a peek at the other pics on that sight :D the hood looks very strange and i love the shifter;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
A lot of weird stuff was done to the car. Very strange V6 with combined exhaust ports (uses only two exhaust tubes on each side) and gear driven cam, extremely long 4-speed manual (almost reaches the rear diff), shifter mounted on a piece of orange painted steel, 245/50/13 tires in the rear, full roll bar (badly mounted), gauges galore, switches I have no idea what they do, etc.

While I was taking it apart, I just kept saying "What was this guy thinking?"

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
Dan,

Is the engine a 2.8 European Ford V-6? It looks like the one in my old 1976 Capri II (before they were just re-badged Mustangs). It was a fairly good engine, for the times, considering it had to meet stringent pollution standards with fairly archaic technology (a carburetor). And it only had a 4-speed, versus a lot of other cars of the times that had a five speed, so it was geared quite low to provide a tolerable cruising engine speed.

But I recall reading that the Euro versions (especally the 3 litre) was a KILLER engine. I wonder why this isn't a more popular conversion (aside from the long drivetrain). The engine is certainly compact, as least as much as the GM 2.8/3.1/3.4, and I don't recall it being very heavy.

What engine are you planning for, or are you still "considering"?

·
Registered
92 Posts
My first plan was for a 4G63, from the DSM triplets (Talon/Eclipse/Laser). But doing some measuring, I may have trouble with the pedal box that extends out into the engine bay. A friend suggested cutting it out completely, using floor mounted pedals and remote mount the brake master cylinder, but that seems like a lot of work. Alternatively, I think I may go 13B-RE. I hear there is a rotary engine importer in Calgary, so I may go look him up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is why Nissan engines aren't a good idea in a GT. They all use a driver's side turbo location, as well as a slight tilt towards the driver's side. Good for LHD Japanese cars, bad for RHD cars, especially ones with a ton of braces and metal in the way like ours.

Toyota, Mazda or Mitsu are really the only ways to go for simplicity's sake.

·
239 Posts
would like to see the pics of this engine

Dan

Thanks found the pics in your updated post! You got a lot of work ahead of you! Your new powerplant looks great and a good fit!

Thanks again,
Rick

Dan0myte said:
My '71 came with a european Ford V6 already transplanted in it.

http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/ahodar/My Car/Opel/IM000171.jpg

Although, "Ford" and "Carburated" makes me sick. I'm pulling it a.s.a.p.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yep, the new location of the pics is http://uregina.ca/~ahodan11 Just click on the Opel pic.

The engine was a 2.6 Ford Capri motor. It fit alright in the engine bay, although the guy had to cut a chunk out of the driver's footwell area in order for the left side headers to fit. And even then, the headers were custom made and welded with an extreme 120 degree turn coming out of the exhaust port and ran right against the engine block.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
There are at least two families of European Ford V6s: the "Essex" 2.5 and 3.0 litre motors widely used in the UK and the "Cologne" 2.3, 2.6 and 2.8 litre motors used in Germany and the Capris & Cortinas in UK then in Capris and Mustang IIs in the USA.

The 2.3 L "Cologne" is the one with only two exhaust ports per head (actually two ports siamesed). The bigger 2.8 L has more potential with three exhaust ports per side. These engines are covered in Petersons book about V6s that should be available at your local library or Hot Rod shop.

Like all non-GM motors they are far more expensive to play with due to lots less mass produced goodies being about for them. Also, the GM 60 degree V6 starts at 2.8 L and is available stock up to 3.4 L and new "crate" motors are available from GM HI-Po outlets.

If you are a "dyed in the wool" Ford person I guess it is as good a way as any to enjoy a nice wee GM Opel! ;)

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
sorry to disagree jim but only the mustang had the arizona 6 port heads nearly all cologne engines are 5 port heads only the later 2.9 had 6 ports but its less tunable than the 2.8 (due to being designed with emissions in mind)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
I love being disagreed with! :)

Just based what I know from seeing very few of the 2.3 and 2.8 litre motors that end up out here. The 2.3s have the siamesed exhaust port and the 2.8s have three exhaust ports. One of the 'lads' a work had a 2.3 Cortina Mk4 which he repowered with a 2.8 and found out he had to make new headers.
Stuck a Wade supercharger on top and got himself 200 plus horse power.
You come from much nearer the home of these things so see many more of them so I defer to you better knowledge!

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
now the arizona with a charger would be something to see in a gt(which must be what you get in NZ)
pity its a cast iron engine the new alloy one from a jag or ford mercury would be a better modern choice as it already comes with a charger in some models :D
btw if you see a cortina with a 2.3 pinto(sohc) in it get it as it has the best torque ive ever driven but they are rare (1 year only) as the 2.3 v 6 was in short supply some thing happend at the factory plus it has the mustang rocket box on it and theres still not a normaly asperated 4 cylinder engine that can bust it

1 - 20 of 47 Posts