Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
opelturbo
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to turn my 1971 opel gt into a drift monster and i figured swapping the engine would be a good way to get hp. I also contemplated turboing the stock engine. I dont know what turbo to use. I know they have universal turbo kits on ebay for $500 with t3 turbo and intercooler and all that good stuff. Or should i put a v6 in. ANy ideas?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I want to turn my 1971 opel gt into a drift monster and i figured swapping the engine would be a good way to get hp. I also contemplated turboing the stock engine. I dont know what turbo to use. I know they have universal turbo kits on ebay for $500 with t3 turbo and intercooler and all that good stuff. Or should i put a v6 in. ANy ideas?
First, a 500 dolar turbo kit ...... uhm, I seriously doubt you'd be able to build a "drift monster" with something like that, but I could be wrong. Even if that was the case the internals of your stock 71 engine would need some *serious* reworking if you want enough hp out of it to be able to use it as a drift car. Probably easier to buy a Jap turbo engine and drop that in there complete with transmission

Second, there's no way the rear end will be able to stand up to that kind of abuse so be prepared to spend time and money swapping it for something a bit more suited to your needs

I'm guessing from your post that you're fairly new to this, I don't have any experience in drifting either but if I decided to give it a try I wouldn't start from scratch and build my own car, I'd buy one that's already been prepared. Probably cheaper than doing it yourself and you'd be able to start racing almost immediately and gather the experience needed to know what you'd want from the car you're going to build yourself. I'd buy one of those dime a dozen Nissans or something, when starting out you don't want to be "on your own" because then you have to figure out everything for yourself, by using what "everyone else" is using you have a huge knowledge base to tap into

·
opelturbo
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Ive looked into just buying a car for drifting but everyone thinks there car is worth way too much money. And if you think about it opels are lighter than those other cars so that would be the reason for turning it into a drift car. Im not too worried about finding a rear end to put in it. My uncle probably has one sitting around somewhere. but its either getting a different engine or a turbo. from somthing idk what thats why im asking. what turbo from what car would fit the best? what engines are easiest to swap?

·
Super Moderator
13,727 Posts
Ive looked into just buying a car for drifting but everyone thinks there car is worth way too much money. And if you think about it opels are lighter than those other cars so that would be the reason for turning it into a drift car. Im not too worried about finding a rear end to put in it. My uncle probably has one sitting around somewhere. but its either getting a different engine or a turbo. from somthing idk what thats why im asking. what turbo from what car would fit the best? what engines are easiest to swap?
You're far better off buying someone else's finished car. Or a more popular car for drifting. I have friends that drift. They replace body parts every weekend. No biggie if you have a popular car with decent aftermarket support, and bolt on fenders and removable urethane bumpers. But if you stuff a GT into a concrete barrier it's probably done for...and good luck finding parts to 'bolt on'! Other than the doors, the hood, the rear trim panel and the headlights, every GT body panel is welded in place.

As well, you would have to engineer a better front suspension for drifting. And bigger brakes. So we're looking at essentially building a car within a car. Donor front suspension and brakes, donor rear axle, donor engine and gearbox.

If you are serious about turbocharging the Opel engine, what are your power goals? Most OEM turbos are far too small for any decent power, or too unique to the OEM application to fit within the space constraints (minimal in a GT).

Most guys who run turbo drift cars are using a GT2871 or GT3071 for good response and the ability to run 350-450 hp. Figure $1200-$1300 for the turbo. And you'd need stronger rods, forged pistons, headwork and camshaft (to avoid compressor surge and allow the engine to rev enough to really use the turbo), and custom turbo exhaust manifold, plumbing, intercooler, and then of course the requisite engine management and fuel system.

However the curent trend in professional drift cars is to use a GM LS engine. Hard to top an N/A all-aluminum V8 with the potential for 400-600 hp. And zero turbo lag.

HTH,
Bob

Reactions: baz and ggl

·
Super Moderator
13,727 Posts
The nissan sr20ve gets my vote for a transplant.
Easy 500hp.
View attachment 36791
Trouble is, everyone I know who used to drift with an SR20 (DE) is sick of them blowing up all the time. Most have swapped to the Chevy LS or even to the VQ35 Nissan.

Damn SR's have too many oiling issues, especially with high rpms and lots of lateral oil sloshing. I'm going to dry sump the SR20VE in my road racing car. Pricey, but necessary.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
You're far better off buying someone else's finished car. Or a more popular car for drifting. I have friends that drift. They replace body parts every weekend. No biggie if you have a popular car with decent aftermarket support, and bolt on fenders and removable urethane bumpers. But if you stuff a GT into a concrete barrier it's probably done for...and good luck finding parts to 'bolt on'! Other than the doors, the hood, the rear trim panel and the headlights, every GT body panel is welded in place.

As well, you would have to engineer a better front suspension for drifting. And bigger brakes. So we're looking at essentially building a car within a car. Donor front suspension and brakes, donor rear axle, donor engine and gearbox.
"If I was going there I wouldn't start from here" ? :)

·
Super Moderator
13,727 Posts
If your going to play..be willing to pay right?
Exactly. Or be prepared to pay twice when it blows up and you have to do it again, but this time the right way.

I don't want to build another SR20VE, there's about $6k into the one I have already. If it costs me $2k to build an oiling system to protect that investment, so be it. Otherwise it will cost me $14k to get to the same place I should have been to begin with.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
There are about 20-30 threads that start the same way here in the forum, have yet to see a GT doing some drifting anywhere. Besides, it will cost about $20K in modifications to the GT to be able to keep up with the other cars.

My advise is, leave the GT alone and buy a Honda Civic like everyone else!

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
A good drifter will need to be able to switch on the fly from 2wd-4wd-fwd-rwd.
And you'll need gobs of power.

The universal turbo kits are less the exhaust manifold. So add a custom manifold.
I don't know of any stock ones.

The kits are knockoff cheap junk. The so called T-3 flange will crack!
The intercooler won't flow. I think that my nose flows more air.

Opphs I got into a rant ...sorry

·
Banned
420 Posts
As always I vote rotary powered rx7. They can be had cheap. Rwd. Good weight bias. Very forgiving as far as handling. I think my wife could do a decent job with one and she doesn't even know what over steer is. Haven't seen fwd drifting.

·
opelturbo
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its not going to cost alot of money when you can be innovative and use parts off other cars that would work great. I just havent established what parts should be used thats why i came to this site to see what other people have done and whats worked good

·
Banned
420 Posts
It's like awd only with the hind legs dragging. lol
I saw something about the fast and the furious ( actually true) about the evo's and other awd's, that the actually disconnected the front ends to make them rwd only.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
its not going to cost alot of money when you can be innovative and use parts off other cars that would work great. I just havent established what parts should be used thats why i came to this site to see what other people have done and whats worked good
Exactly, there are no "other people" who are using a GT for drifting so you're basically on your own. I've been involved in several of my friends' motorsport projects and we've always gone with the flow simply because we didn't have the time and money to develop our own stuff. And that's just for mechanical stuff, as Bob mentioned, what are you going to do if you stuff it into a wall, be sidelined for the next 3-4 months while waiting for parts that have to ordered specially from Europe at a very high cost compared to locally available stuff ?

You're making it very difficult for yourself by starting with a car that's not all that well suited for what you're going to use it for, nor is there much in the way of competiton parts for the GT as it was never all that popular in racing as most people used the Manta or the Ascona, add to that it's a very small car with a tiny engine bay, so not only will you need to make modifications to fit anything suitable for your use in there, imagine having to work on the engine between heats at an event

While a GT in drifting sounds like cool idea in itself you're going to end up with a car that's only going to look like a GT, but it won't actually be a GT, so why not make it easier on yourself and start out with something a bit more suited for your needs if you insist on building it yourself. There are perfectly good reasons for not going mainstream, you want to be different to attract sponsors or you think you may know something that nobody else knows and it will give you an advantage, stuff like that, but unless you can come up with some very good reasons for it I would stick to proven stuff

You've already been given advice about engine choice, time to break out the tape measure and see what it takes to fit in there, as for front and rear end, again, break out the tape measure and compare the dimensions of your car with what's available at the local junk yard but I'm guessing a shortened Ford 9" would work at the rear, for the front I haven't got the faintest idea

·
Registered
49 Posts
First of all, I understand why you would want to make a drift gt. that is exactly what I am doing.

But here is the reality: I have spent over a year building my car, and I am only about 3/4 finished.

Read this whole thing. http://www.opelgt.com/forums/engine-swap-forum/25560-94-13b-twin-turbo-into-71-gt.html

I am doing ALL of the work myself, so there are no labor charges involved. so far I have spent well over 20K. 20K just in parts, that doesnt include any of the special tools I have had to buy to do this kind of work. I figure I still have 10k to go.

And there is just about nothing you can buy that just "bolts up" to an opel gt, I have had to make or modify everything for this car. If you want a drift car, buy a 240. The S14 chassis is really set up for, and supported by the drift aftermarket. The opel gt is supported by almost no high performance aftermarket. these cars are just restored by guys and (for the most part) driven gingerly on the weekends. there are a few guys that are doing serious racing with these cars, but they are spending serious money on them, and doing serious modification/fabrication work, and have serious years of racing experience, and my hat is off to them.

read Rally Bobs 1.9 tips and tricks. get your cars original powerplant up to around 150 wheel HP and see if that doesnt make you crap your pants.

overall, the opel gt is not set up for drifting. the suspension sucks, transverse leaf spring is in a flimsy front cross member, 0 camber, 0 caster, no adjustability, very limited steering angle, the car sits about 4" too high stock, solid rear axle that only handles 150hp, open differential, the chassis will torque in half under any heavy launch conditions, if you slap a wall you cant just zip tie your bumper back on, you will have to do serious metal work, and the list goes on and on. If you solve all of the issues, it will be a great drift car, but there are lots of issues to solve.

When my car is finished, with this engine on 15 lbs of boost, it will be making something in the low 400's, that is a 5 to 1 weight to power ratio (eventually I will get a street ported boost built high rpm engine on 25 lbs making mid 500 hp, revving to 11000 rpm:ugh:). Anything over about 250 hp in these cars (set up properly to hold and plant that power) is useless and dangerous. a 250 hp 240sx is a legit drift car, and it has almost another 1/2 ton on a gt.

My gt is just going to look kinda like an Opel gt when it is done. it will just be the shell with a completely custom modernized drivetrain. the only thing I am keeping original is the lighter on the dash.

If you still think you are up for this, and you arent going to just start cutting on, and then discard an Opel, be prepared to spend at least 30k for someone to do even the most basic drift build setup. (roll cage, frame re-enforcement, engine swap, suspension fabrication)

If you want something that looks cool, that you might be able to toss around a corner every now and then, that you might finish in a timeframe that still holds your attention span, then keep it stock and beef it up.

And FWD drifting? Guys, seriously? I know that drifting is a new form of racing and not everyone takes it seriously, but can we please get our facts straight? Drifting is not just yanking the e-brake and powersliding a corner. Legit drift racing is very technical, and takes alot more skill than hollywood lets on to... The only drivers that are more competent in more racing fields are the rally racers. If you can have absolute control over your car when it is 70 degrees to the curb going through a sweeper at 65 MPH, you can pretty much have control over it under any conditions.

Mike Lambiase

·
Super Moderator
13,727 Posts
First of all, I understand why you would want to make a drift gt. that is exactly what I am doing.

But here is the reality: I have spent over a year building my car, and I am only about 3/4 finished.

Read this whole thing. http://www.opelgt.com/forums/engine-swap-forum/25560-94-13b-twin-turbo-into-71-gt.html

I am doing ALL of the work myself, so there are no labor charges involved. so far I have spent well over 20K. 20K just in parts, that doesnt include any of the special tools I have had to buy to do this kind of work. I figure I still have 10k to go.
Words of wisdom from someone who has spent the money, and 'done the time'!

As with any racing project, it will always take three times longer than you initially anticipated, and cost twice as much. And you will crash it at some point!:yup:

Always better to start out with a car you have no affection for...

·
Registered
3,088 Posts

And FWD drifting? Guys, seriously?
Mike Lambiase
It is very hard to be serious when the target vehicle is an Opel GT. That is why I was guided towards a Honda Civic.

You can modify the Honda easily and make an independent AWD car with several kits already in the market. I know of a gentleman here in Acworth that has a 400Hp Civic, mid engine with an electric clutch driven front/rear differentials. He has about $80K invented in the car.

Now that is a real drift vehicle!

·
opelturbo
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok i know i have to change the suspension and the rearend but what fits the best and what works the best. I want to know what people have done to turbo the original engine. you guys keep telling me to get a different car. I dont want a diff. car. Dare to be different.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts