Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
valve cover filter

I am pretty sure that someone answered this somewhere, but my searches have been fruitless. I have been warned that some GTs were restored using household steel wool as a filter in the valve cover. Since I have already found several questionale restoration techniques from the PO already, and I had some carb work to do (one of the questionable choices) I decided to pull off the valve cover. It makes the carb mount easier to get at.

After cleaning the entire interior of the cover (ugh), I found no filter at all. So here are the questions:

1. Exactly where should it go?
2. What is a suitable material to use?

Thanks
Andrew

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i'm not sure either what to replace the filter with, but i can tell you where its at. thers a sheet metal plate that bolts to the top of the valve cover on the inside, 8-10 bolts i guess.pull that cover off and theres 4 pads that sit up in there. the reason for not using steel wool would be that if 1 little piece of that gets down into the motor, you'll be very very sorry, bearings dont like small particles of dirt, steel, sand or anything of the likings.

·
Opeler
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took off the plate under the cover as Jared suggested, and there were two pads under there that looked a little like kitchen scouring pads, but appeared to be made of interlocking rings. They are a little hard to describe, and of course I don't have a pricture.

After a dunk in the parts washer, rinsing, and drying with compressed air, they look pretty good. Is there any reason I can't just put them back?

Andrew

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
The only reason I can think of not to use them is if the solvent used to clean them made them dissolve. Otherwise do it.

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I talked with Gil at OGTS and he said use a spun copper scouring pad as a replacement.

I found a ChoreBoy kitchen scouring pad that works great for mine. It's spun copper and fits in well in place of the old dirty unit. I'm sure that you can find one anywhere, but I found mine at a local hardware store.

The trick is spun non-feris metal. It's all one piece and it won't rust. You can find aluminum versions also.

I looked into cleaning my old ones and they were pretty bad. There was a lot of sludge build up that I was not able to get all off and I was worried about it being sucked back into the engine also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts