Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey rallybob, where did you get that fancy edelbrock valve cover breather that was on the 2.5 kadett you brought to carlisle?

· Super Moderator
15,258 Posts
jordan said:
hey rallybob, where did you get that fancy edelbrock valve cover breather that was on the 2.5 kadett you brought to carlisle?
Ummm, from Edelbrock.... :D

Ordered it from a local speed shop, cost about $27 IIRC.

Bob

· Super Moderator
15,258 Posts
A quick trip to the Edelbrock website and I came up with this info:

#4201 - Edelbrock Elite 90 degree bolt-in cast aluminum breather, with 'Edelbrock' script cast into top.

#4211 - Edelbrock Elite 90 degree bolt-in cast aluminum breather, no name on top, only cast ribs (matches GT valve cover closely).

HTH,
Bob

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=vendor.asp&d=1&s=58&v=EDL

Click on 'Elite Series breathers', then on 'EDL-4211'. It's under $20 from Summit....

136 Posts
JEGS has them

The Edelbrock breather was one of several great ideas and pointers that I brought back from Carlisle ... courtesy of Rally Bob ... Thanks

Question: Does the use of the Edelbrock side breather eliminate the need for the "steel wool/mesh" type filter inside the valve cover?

I bought the "no name on top" from JEGS.

Ken

· Super Moderator
15,258 Posts
svopel said:
Question: Does the use of the Edelbrock side breather eliminate the need for the "steel wool/mesh" type filter inside the valve cover?
Yes it does. I remove the mesh and the steel baffles, with the exception of the area under the filler cap (to prevent oil from leaking around the cap). Then you can also plug the holes in the side of the valve cover. Less chance of oil leaks getting onto your exhasut, and causing smoke and/or fire.

Bob

· Opel gone bad
108 Posts
how bout a pict?

for those who didn't go to "Carlisle"... lucky dogs!

I hate my breather tubes. Id love to cap them off and remove the steel wool...

where does this breather attach?

· GT Owner
470 Posts
Chuck Luther said:
for those who didn't go to "Carlisle"... lucky dogs!

I hate my breather tubes. Id love to cap them off and remove the steel wool...

where does this breather attach?

Hopefully my cut and paste of this link will work:)
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2290

If it does, that thread has a picture of the oil breather and where you can attach it. I'm reasonably sure you also would not need the tank but just wanted to get that verified by someone knowledgeable. :)

· 101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,328 Posts
Edelbrock Breather

I have read from prior entries that oil does not run from the breather but that when the holes on the intake side of the valve cover are plugged, only vapor exits out of the Edelbrock. My question is will I be able to detect the vapors inside the cabin???? As with the 2.5 Kadett, will the stock 1.9 1973 GT also be a candidate for the breather??

· Registered
2,731 Posts
Hey Bob, I went to your above mentioned link and noticed your statement that crankcase fumes can decrease fuel octane. I've never heard of that. Interesting... By about how much?
Ever noticed that drag racing cars will evacuate the fumes by plumbing the breather to the header collector? I've never gotten a believable answer to why they don't do that in stock car racing. Any thoughts?
Is it not widely accepted lately that it is best to maintain a vacuum in the crankcase? To the extent that drag racers run a vacuum pump, but I'm not sure where the pump exhausts to. Yet it seems common in stock car racing to just vent the left valve cover, and that's all! Tends to make a mess...
Also, to change the subject, where are you with the land speed record GT?
A buddy here who runs a lakester wants me to join the fun next year, hope you'll be there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.