Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '72 has a recently re-built motor with maybe 300 miles on it. I've got some oil seepage through the valve cover gasket near the fire wall on the passenger side. The gasket appears to be fairly thick rubber (probably from OGTS). Can I remove the valve cover and add some sealant to the existing gasket and re-use with good results? Also, what's the best sealant for this application?

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
If the gasket is cleaned *really* well so there's no oil residue on it, it can be glued to the valve cover using 3M weatherstrip adhesive, affectionately known as 'gorilla snot' thanks to its runny/dripping texture and lovely yellow color...

Then, when you remove the cover at a later date, the gasket stays with the cover, making realignment that much easier.

·
1,973 Posts
the valve cover gasket should not leak, It is not a high pressure area if the gasket it fairly new and unbroken and bolts are snug, not over tightened it should be fine. but if needed the gasket can be reused and some silicone sealer should do it.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
"Gorilla Snot"

Keep away from that ghastly RTV! if it gets inside the motor and into the oil system it will clogg and block oil galleries.

Take the rocker cover off and clean the mounting face. Make sure that this face is clean and flat. Clean it with solvent and a rag and draw file it flat if necesary. Wash the rubber gasket in hot soapy water and dry it completely.
Make sure it IS a rubber gasket and not a cork one or this treatment will knacker it.

Now spread the "Gorilla Snot" on both surfaces and contact glue the gasket to the rockercover. Put a light smear of grease on the other side of the gasket and fit the rocker cover.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
red spray gasket adhesive

Permatex also makes a red spray adhesive that works well for adhering the gasket to the valve cover, and the best part about it is that it goes on about hair spray consistancy, so no worries about it clogging anything up later.

FWIW, When I drove my Kadett back to NY from SD with the 1500 motor in it, the rocker studs were worn out and the adjustment nuts kept loosening up. This meant I had to stop (every 50-80 miles or so at one point) and adjust the valve lash on the side of the road, until I got totaly fed-up and double nutted them. The standard rubbery FelPro valve cover gasket that was on the car was reused for the whole 1400 mile trip, for a total of 14 times removed and reinstalled. Even after I got home, there was almost no leakage from the gasket. I took the time to send them a nice thank you card for that, it amazed me so much.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've used the black Fel Pro gasket over and over with no sealant, and no leaks. I think the key is to never overtighten it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts