Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tell me if I'm on the money:

Large valve cover hose goes to fixture on neck of air filter

Small valve cover hose to first smallest nipple on "T". (pin hole)

Advance goes to larger nipple on distributor

Second nipple (bigger) on the "T" goes to smaller nipple on distrib

End of "T" is brake booster fitting

All these are outboard nothing hooked up on inboard

PO has only two hoses hooked up to carb. Second nipple on "T" goes to large distributer nipple and brake booster Is hooked up. Thats it.

Not only that, but I think my brake booster fitting isn't screwed on all the way because the nipples face towards nose, and pictures i have seen face towards fire wall.

Thanks everybody,
Jennifer

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
Layman?

First, I can't help it if I wanted to be a writer, and not a mechanic. So to me, I DID put it in "layman's terms". Hey, I'm an Engineer! At least I didn't go off and try to "solve it from first principles"! Or use a bunch of integrals and differential equations. And I did finally say: "put the big hose in the big hole, and the small hose in the small hole". I just wanted you all to know that PCV in an Opel is different that in most cars. And to not try to install a PCV valve. 'Cause I just took one off Kat's GT, and after replacing all her engine seals, I wanted at least one person to avoid all that pain. OK, I'm feeling better now....

In point form:

"Large valve cover hose goes to fixture on neck of air filter"

Yes.

"Small valve cover hose to first smallest nipple on "T". (pin hole)"

No. At least I don't think so. The "Tee" that I am referring to should have a big end (for the brake booster hose) and only have one small tube (for the distributor vacuum retard. This connects to the small nipple on the distributor. This can be deleted to give a better idle, by capping the tube to prevent a vacuum leak. But the PCV orifice tube should be just below the brake booster hose tee, on the intake manifold. I believe that I read somewhere that '73 and '74 Opels (pre-fuel injection) had the PCV tube on the inboard side of the intake manifold. But if the nipple has a very small internal hole (1/16 inch) it should work as a PCV orifice. Just make sure that there aren't any other open fittings on the intake manifold that would cause a vacuum leak (such as where the PCV orifice should be, directly below the booster fitting) .

"Advance goes to larger nipple on distributor"

Yes. And the other end should hook up to a nipple on the carb base, just above the level of the throttle plate. So it sees no vacuum at an idle, and maximum vacuum when the throttle is wide open.

"Second nipple (bigger) on the "T" goes to smaller nipple on distrib"

I don't know what "tee" this is. Perhaps this is from an Auto tranny model for the modulator valve?

"Not only that, but I think my brake booster fitting isn't screwed on all the way because the nipples face towards nose, and pictures i have seen face towards fire wall."

Maybe it is just screwed in tight to prevent a vacuum leak? You should be able to unscrew the big tee, and wrap the threads with teflon plumbing tape. Then, screw it back in until it is snug. And the nipples face whatever direction you want.

HTH

·
Registered
97 Posts
I finally get it.

One more tiny question. May not even pertain to this, but I noticed on my driveway after letting the car sit while running, that there were oil spurts. They must of come from the exhaust??? Why?

Just a few more tweeks here and there and I hopefully will have her ready for her first trip. We are headed to Charlotte NC for a car show.

Thanks guys and gals

Jennifer

·
96 Posts
1) Large valve cover hose goes to fixture on neck of air filter!

YES

2) Small valve cover hose to first smallest nipple on "T". (pin hole)!

NO
Goes NOT ON T-connection, but below t- connection on intake (hard to see with carb on but you can feel with hand, it's also larger than the smallest nipple on the "T")
sm. nipple on T connects to metal pipe going to fire wall for auto trans vacume modulator (not dist.vac)

3) Advance goes to larger nipple on distributor!

NO.
goes on middle of carb body, pass. side (solex carb)

4) Second nipple (bigger) on the "T" goes to smaller nipple on distrib!

YES
(it is for vac retard on inboard of vac advance of distrib. closest to cap.)

5) End of "T" is brake booster fitting!

YES

(6) All these are outboard nothing hooked up on inboard

YES
ON '72 AUTO TRANS GT

(7) Second nipple on "T" goes to large distributer nipple and brake booster Is hooked up. Thats it.

"T" has 3 nipples for cars with auto trans (2 nipples for standerd trans cars) EACH A DIFFERENT SIZE -
(1) LARGEST goes to BRAKE BOOSTER
(2) SMALLER goes to DISTRIBUTOR VACUME RETARD (closest to cap)
(3) SMALLEST goes to METAL LINE towards fire wall under car to Transmission VACUME MODULATOR.

[UNDER (NOT ON) THE "T" THERE IS A NIPPLE, IT IS TO BE CONNECTED TO THE SMALLER HOSE COMMING OFF THE VALVE COVER (hard to find with carb on but it is there)]

(8) Not only that, but I think my brake booster fitting isn't screwed on all the way because the nipples face towards nose, and pictures i have seen face towards fire wall.

USE A small WRENCH AND TRY TO TIGHTEN (DO NOT FORCE)
IF NO MOVEMENT REMOVE, CLEAN THREADS, AND REINSTALL.
TEFLON TAPE WILL WORK TO SEAL IT UP NO MATTER WHICH
WAY IT FACES.
Once again if you give your E-MAIL address I'll attach all the info you need
WEBSTER

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry we couldn't connect via email. I tried twice. I did call OGTS and they faxed me a copy of the hose sheet.

I notice now you have it on the members photo site under your name. I suggest that if anyone has this question in the future they go to the site webster posted above. Big Big help

Jennifer

41 - 47 of 47 Posts