Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Opeler
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
valve cover

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I took off the plate under the valve cover to check the screens, which were fine, and managed to snap off a bolt putting the plate back on. It is one of the ones in the corner. I then proceeded, frustrated, to get a little overzealous with a drill and a screw remover. Net result, the hole is trashed.

Will having one fewer make any difference? I am worried that th vibration of that corner will loosen the other bolts and send one into the valve train.

Alternately, does anyone have a valve cover that they want to sell?

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
If it is an alloy GT rocker cover then find the guy in your area who welds up all the Motorcycle engine covers - he will be able to weld repair the trashed hole and redrill and tap it for you.

If he works on Jap bikes he should even understand that the original threads are metric ones and make the repaired thread the same as the rest. Probably have a bolt too!

· Opeler
6 Posts
will sell GT valve cover

I sell clean, used GT rocker covers for $50 + shipping. Half that price for the steel cover, if you want one.

--John

· Über Moderator
6,683 Posts
I had a stripped hole on one of my aluminum valve cover breather covers, and I just drilled it out and tapped it to a larger bolt (I think the standard is M5, so I drilled it out to take a M6 bolt).

But frankly, I think that there are enough bolts already that one less wouldn't hurt.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Loctite

That reminds me - Loctite has a neat thread restoring compound that can be put into stripped thread holes that "restores" the threads. I think, from memory, it works up to 230 degrees F.
Try you local engineering supplies outlet and ask to see the brochure for the Loctite range of products.

· 70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
If you could get the hole clean enough (no oil residue), something like a JB weld would work also.

Clean the hole or the remaining bolt, if any is left. Clean the hole with Acetone, or someother degreaser. Then mix and fill with JB Weld. When cured, drill, tap, and attach.

The other thing I have done with some of the bolts attaching to other aluminum threaded holes is install Helicoils. It makes it a little easier to make sure you don't get too over zealous on the wrench.

Just another $.02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.