Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeler
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a stupid question, but....do you need to put gasket sealer on the valve cover gasket? I always thought you put sealer on all gaskets. But the valve cover one is pretty thick and the old one appeared to not have any on it. Did the PO just not do it right, or am I mistaken?

·
126 Posts
Thats not a stupid question. You dont always have to put sealer on all gaskets. Gaskets are designed to work solo. However, it is important to put a "dab" of sealer at the top of the timing chain cover, where it attaches to the engine block, when replacing the valve cover gasket. Thats for a 1.9L, I'm not sure about the 1.1L. I'm a sworn believer in Felpro brand gaskets. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
depends on the gasket too

With the Fel-Pro style rubberized felt gaskets I've never used any sealant, and one gasket was even re-used 14 times without any noticable leakage that way. (Long story, for another time maybe.)

With the factory style cork gaskets there are a couple of shhools of thought that both seem to work equally well for me. The first is to spray both sides with the Permatex red spray gasket adhesive/sealant or an equivalent. I like to let one coat get tacky then add another, then install when the second coat is tacky. This way seals like you won't believe, but can be "fun" to remove later if need be. The more traditional way for installing cork gaskets is to soak them in water then install them wet and let them dry, then retorque when dry. Never had a leaker with this method either, but some folks don't like a wet gasket.

·
Opeler
71 Posts
Valve cover gasket.

Use permatex "non hardening" sealer on both sides(light film is all that is nessecary).Using no sealer it will leak.I have used this stuff extensively on both rubber and cork.

·
Opeler
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. Seeing that the rubber ones evidently can be used multiple times, I'm going to try the no sealer method first.

·
Opeler
754 Posts
Hey Dan,

Are you the guy with the red GT I met last summer along Shelby Rd in my rallye gold GT?

On a GT with the rubber gasket I wouldn't use any sealer but my Manta with the stamped valve cover leaks a little with the same gasket. Some day I'll get around to putting the GT aluminum valve cover on it......

Will you be making the trip to Springfied next month?

Don

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
dcm013 said:
Hey Dan,

Are you the guy with the red GT I met last summer along Shelby Rd in my rallye gold GT?

On a GT with the rubber gasket I wouldn't use any sealer but my Manta with the stamped valve cover leaks a little with the same gasket. Some day I'll get around to putting the GT aluminum valve cover on it......

Will you be making the trip to Springfied next month?

Don
When you had the stamped cover off the last time, did you remember to check the mounting holes for "dimpling"?!

I've had my stamped cover on my '69 Kadett for better that 2 years now with no sealer and no leaks! I religiously check and "de-dimple" the mounting holes where necessary EVERY time a stamped cover's removed though.

Got in the habit of doing that with all stamped metal covers in my bad old Chevy SB days! Hey, and go easy on tightening those stamped cover mounting bolts . . . snug (actually, snugly) is the operative word here!

·
Opeler
754 Posts
"When you had the stamped cover off the last time, did you remember to check the mounting holes for "dimpling"?!"

No, I was in a hurry as usual! But it only leaks a little : ).

Any suggestions as to how to polish up the Al valve cover I've yet to put on? Preferably using only my electric drill or Dremel? Don't need a show finish, just want to clean up the corrosion. And I'll be in a hurry.....

See you in Springfield?

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts