Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Valve keeper question

I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me.
Some time ago I purchased a set of exhaust valves on E-bay. They stated that they were for an Opel 1.9. Couple of months later I took my head to the machine shop for a rebuild along with the new valves. My machinist said the valves were correct except the keeper grooves are different and would not work. Today another set of valves came up for sale on E-bay. I had the seller take some close ups of the keeper grooves. The pics are attached. They are the same as the ones I purchased earlier.
I guess my question is this. Are these keeper grooves correct? Is there a different keeper for these valves?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Two Types

Been there, done by that! There are two different types of grooves and collets. One groove is square ( earlier ones, I think) the other half round ( came off a 1978 date stamped head). So you should be able to find the correct collets out there somewhere ..... I 'm using my round ones.

BTW the lower square groove is for the rubber seal to fit in - the locks fit in the groove closest to the valve tip. Both your pics look very similar ??

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
The square-cut keepers are for the pre-'71 heads, and Opel used o-ring seals on the intake and exhaust valves, plus had sheet-metal oil shields under the spring retainers to minimize the oil bath that ran down the guides.

When they changed to a positive-type seal on the intake valves, the also changed the valve configuration to the radiused keepers, which they still used on the 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4 engines (although eventually they converted to positive seals on all the valves, intake AND exhaust).

Bob

·
467 Posts
Can a positive seal be added to the exhaust valves....I don't think the o-rings do much. My Opels always give off a big cloud of blue smoke when started. Could this be worn guides or is just the o-ring seal design.

Thanks guys

:)

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
73Manta72gt said:
Can a positive seal be added to the exhaust valves....I don't think the o-rings do much. My Opels always give off a big cloud of blue smoke when started. Could this be worn guides or is just the o-ring seal design.
Yes, they can be added, but this requires the valve guides being machined with the head off the car. Smoke? Probably a combination of worn guides and o-ring seals that create that problem.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts