Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 1.9 head sitting at a machine shop waiting for valve springs to finish the job. I've searched some of the old posts but didn't see a definitive answer(s) for what valve springs could be used without modifying the head. The cam I'm getting ready to have reground is a Cam Techniques, H284 grind. The lift is .426" and my machinist thinks that the stock springs are a little too close to coil bind at that lift. I'm using intake valves from a 2.0L engine with the stock 1.9L exhaust valves.

If you know of a combination that will work, please share the details with me so I can relay them to the machine shop.

Thanks,
Harold

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
You might try Norris Cams. I don't know of anyone else in the US who offers performance springs to work with 9 mm valves. I've never really tried to figure a combo out since the stock 1.9 springs retainers are very weak.

HTH
Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Norris springs and retainers

RallyBob said:
You might try Norris Cams. I don't know of anyone else in the US who offers performance springs to work with 9 mm valves. I've never really tried to figure a combo out since the stock 1.9 springs retainers are very weak.

HTH
Bob
Do you still have the Norris Cams address/phone for springs and retainers, Bob? :confused: Been trying to find where to order some for some time now, but Norris seems to have disappeared of the face of the earth . . .

·
Super Moderator
5,923 Posts
tekenaar said:
Do you still have the Norris Cams address/phone for springs and retainers, Bob? :confused: Been trying to find where to order some for some time now, but Norris seems to have disappeared of the face of the earth . . .
A search pointed me to a BMW website, which had the comment :
Re-grinds and new billets are available from various race shops, and several reputable manufacturers and tuners such as Iskenderian, and Korman. Korman offers their own version of a "300 degree" camshaft at considerable savings to versus a Schrick cam. Norris used to grind good hot cams, but they are no longer around. The best thing to do when looking beyond a Schrick is to work closely with someone who has had measurable experience in this field. .

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keith, the phone number still appears to be good. I searched a little further than you did. :)

Norris Performance Products
14762 Calvert St.
P.O. Box 484
Van Nuys, CA 91411
(818)780-1102

Harold

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
there are not in the states but you could try kent cams (ive added the like to them in the link section)
they list 7 diff spring sets + kits and cams
ps you will have to look under vauxhall

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:rolleyes: Glad you got the info, I forwarded your findings to my machine shop. I'm hoping they will have lighter springs as I don't have any where near that much lift.

Chuck @ Norris, I think I've heard of him. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Chuck @ Norris

hrcollinsjr said:
:rolleyes: Glad you got the info, I forwarded your findings to my machine shop. I'm hoping they will have lighter springs as I don't have any where near that much lift.

Chuck @ Norris, I think I've heard of him. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I noticed that too! Small world . . .

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Seated/open spring pressures . . .

hrcollinsjr said:

?????? OK, if your lift is less than .500" (mine's .485"), the ONLY thing that means is that your max lift pressure (open pressure) will be less, everything else is the same, ie seated pressure is still 120lbs. The reason they give it at .500" valve lift is to show it CAN operate up to that lift without spring bind at Opel installed spring height of 1.563" (1 9/16", relatively short spring). HTHCTU

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
120 lbs of seat pressure is too much for hydraulic lifters, just FYI. They will collapse, if not initially, eventually....

Even for solids it's a bit high unless the cam is very aggressive.

HTH,
Bob

·
648 Posts
Here are the spring specs for my TGSI head. I don't know where
Bob Dennard sourced them from or if he had the custom made.

SPRING Info
Rate 215 lb (intake & exhaust)
Seated 90 lb
Note: Max lift could be .480" - Coil bind at about .575 lift

James

1 - 12 of 12 Posts