Opel GT Forum banner

VBelt alignment Question

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  oldopelguy 
#1 ·
I have two GTs a 70 and 71. On both of them the alternator pulley is out of line with the crank and waterpump pulley. The alternator is towards the front of the car about one pulley width. My question is are there spacers that are supposed to go behind the crank and waterpump pulleys? If not then how do I shift the atlernator towards the rear to line it up? Of course I can slot the holes but one shouldnt have to do that. Thanks guys.

#2 ·
Hmmm...

It SHOULD fit. There aren't any spacers behind the crank and water-pump pulleys. Do you have a stock alternator? Or is the bracket modified somehow? Or is there a spacer behind the alternator pulley that shouldn't be there. I don't get how you could have TWO GT's that are both out of line. Any chance of showing a photo? Especially of the alternator mounting brackets.

#4 ·
I will take some pictures and post them this weekend. The bushing on the lower mount are pushed all the way too the rear, but the stock alternator ( am pretty sure it is stock) will just fit in the slot anyway. I am replacing both stock alternators with 7127s. And instead of modifying the top bracket I am going to TRY to see if the stock alternator front will fit on the 7127. If so no mods to bracket. But I dont care to keep running them out of line. It appears to me one solution would be to slot the bottom bracket mount holes but that just shouldnt have to be done. Thanks.

#5 ·
I put a straightedge against the pulleys and it isnt out as far as I thought. I think all that is going on is the top and bottom rubber bushings are worn, settled with a set and letting the alternator sag a little from being perfectly aligned. New bushing time I guess. Thanks.

#7 ·
Hello,

Does anybody know where I can get rubber bushings for alternator brackets for an Opel GT.

Thanks for any help.

Tony
Opel GT Source.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.