Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
I can't recall the ratios of the Vega tranny. I do know it bolts right into the chassis, but the front bearing and seal (retainer) are both larger than a regular Opel's. So you need to use either a 6-cylinder Opel bellhousing or you'll have to machine the 1.9 bellhousing for the larger bearings and seal. From what I recall the output shaft is different too, so a new driveshaft will be in order.

Sorry I can't help more than this, but it's been years since I've seen one of these up close.

Bob

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff,

If my memory is correct it was a direct bolt on. The only difference between the GT tran and the Vega tran of that year was the GT used 4 berings and the Vega used 5 berings.

But again I am going on memory of a conversation I had with a GT specealest that had the Vega Trans in an SCCA racer.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Thanks guys. Since it is (so far) ridiculously inexpensive and there have been no bids yet, I am "watching it".
Looks like it would pass for (almost) stock if I found the need to try it.
There probably isn't any reason anybody else would want it... Plus its only about a thousand miles away, shipping won't be too bad.
Oh, I guess there is a bidder! What do you need it for, Rick?

·
247 Posts
I have one of these in the back of my shed. I sold it many years ago to a fellow opeler. I got it back, did not fit, input shaft is larger, not sure about the output. I could drag it out if anyone really needs to know.
dan

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Jeff,

As you said it is so ridiculously inexpensive I did not want it to go to the scrap heap. If I got it, I was going to use it if I put a high performance eng. in the GT (Long term, years away), I have been watching ebay for them for a year and this was the first one I have seen.

I set my max bid @ (PM for that) I will not bid any higher. If I get it and you have a need for it sooner (ie for your race car) I will let you have it for what I paid for it (seems fair). So just keep an eye on it. :cool:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. I am the new owner of Vega trany. I kept a opel part from going to the scrap heap and made one of the northern friends a little richer :D !!

I will let you know what it looks like when I get it :)

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Wanna 3 spd to go with? I have one already mounted to a bellhousing. The output shaft I believe is larger and requires the auto driveshaft yoke. The guy that I got mine from would switch back and forth between the 3 spd. Vega/Opel trans. and the 4 spd. Opel trans when racing on different tracks because of the different ratios.

Harold

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Jeff, if you'll come on down this weekend I'll put it on you cheap. Don't really want to have to package it. Probably wouldn't take you over a day to get here, right? I'll send you a picture of it this weekend. The mods to make it fit were a different driveshaft and a piece of conveyor belt material between the bellhousing and tranny. Don't ask me why! We never ran the transmission. We got it and some other stuff from a "Roger ?" in Ohio back in the late 80's. He was in Loveland, Ohio. He had more Opels than I have ever seen in one place and I was told when I arrived he had already started thinning them out. He lost his storage building and I have no clue what went with all of the cars. Probably the "C" word. :(

I'm assuming this racer is circle track? On his GT he had a deal where he could move a block under the right side of the front spring to adjust it for handling. Probably something you've already thought of but I thought it was neat.

Harold

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Thanks, Harold, I'll just hop in the pickup and come on over... :rolleyes:
Please hang on to that trans if you can, it will be at least a month before I'll be able to test run my car at the track with the 4.22 gears.
Yes my GT is for high bank oval track asphalt use. See it in Members Photo Gallery under "J", construction photos are in the Articles section.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Harold,

Thanks for the offer, but Jeff is closer to a working car than I am. I am a little closer in location but that is it.

P.S. I am at my dad's place that is why it is shoing Bennco, not Benncojr.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the Vega Trany..But..

Well,

I got the trany on monday. The UPS driver droped it at my back door.

Well it looks like the shipper broke the shifting linkage :eek: . I have a claim in to UPS well see what happens.

My question is...do you think this can be fixed :( ??

Attachments

·
392 Posts
I used to buy all my syncros and internal parts for my Opel trannys from a Chevy dealer as they were the same parts but cheaper and available. Sometimes on the ebay site for Vegas you can find parts for sale that the person doesn't realize will also fit the Opel tranny.
On that note you will have to tear down the tranny to replace the shifter mech as it slides through the bearing from the inside. I can't remember off the top of my head if they are the same but my assumption would be that they wouldn't go through the expense of tooling up to make a different size of that part when the other parts are the same. As Spock would say "illogical". But not out of GMs realm of possibility. measure twice, do once.
Good luck.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
I've been told that there was very little that was the same. Measure the input and output shafts to verify they are different. While what Mike says makes sense how much of what any auto manufacturer does makes any sense.

I would say that UPS just bought a VERY rare and Valuable tranny. ;) Take your profit and run. :)

JM2CW,
Harold

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well...I will put it in storage for the time being (after UPS comes to see the damage). I have some other higher priority items on the GT (like wiring) that must me done prior to worring about the transmission.

I have it so it is not going into the dumpster and I will be able to upgrade when I need to. I did take a look at it and the stock one and the output shaft looks like a match but that is just a quick eyeballing I did not get the calabrator out to mesure it so I won't bet on it yet.

Photos to come latter with the match up. I had a long day at the office (boy am I sorrounded by dumb people!!)

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
The broken part is the shift selector shaft. It's the same for both trannys to my knowledge, definitely the same diameter (same seals). The part is easy to come by as it doesn't really wear...the PITA is the tranny needs to be completely torn apart to put a new one in. If you need one I probably have a slew of old ones laying around.

Bob

1 - 20 of 48 Posts