Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the Venolia pistons do not have oil holes drilled in them to oil the pins, like the stock ones do. Is this not a problem, or should I just drill the two 10/64" holes in the same location as the Opels? I can't see what added the holes could hurt, as long as I don't scar anything up while drilling.
Opinions wanted!
Thanks,
James

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Yup, I'd add them. It's a $4 option or so per piston, but oddly some people don't spec the option and forget about the oiling holes. Venolia actually places diagonal holes from the pin area to the oil scraper groove, so that the oil that is scraped of the cylinder walls is utilized for the pin.

Bob

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I have drilled the pistons...straight forward, nothing fancy. Then it hit me that I have seen rods in the past that were also drilled with a small oil hole in the small end to help feed the pin. I'm assuming this wasn't needed with the Opel piston because it was a pressed fit. But with the Venolia pin floating, will this be a problem? So should I have the machine shop drill a hole in the rod?
James,
the novice engine builder

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nope - you're all set with the piston drilled. You're correct in assuming the rod does not need to be drilled, as the pin does not float in it. Drilling would be bad - would weaken the little end while not accomplishing anything.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My venolias were set up for floaters. We bored, bushed and drilled the little ends Chose the very top where the upper balance pad (whats left of it) is located since it probably takes about the least load. Many OEM are off to the side a bit, but the guy who did them has been in the business for 40 years so I trust his judgement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts