Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Opeler
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to install 246mm vented front brakes from a 1985 Rekord E. Calipers are made by either ATE or Delco (I've not got them yet) and have one 52mm piston each. I've heard that installing these to a GT isn't very hard task but I don't know if the stock master cylinder works fine with these.
Stock total front brake piston area is about 64cm^2 and with these it would be only 43cm^2. Or is it even possible to compare these numbers because 2-piston calipers are fixed and others floating?
If someone here has done similar upgrade please tell what problems I'm going to encounter. :rolleyes:

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
lasse i think the bmw caliper(2 or 4 piston) is an easyer way to go than the sliding caliper ate system if you do a search on ventilated brakes its been talked about quite a bit
the tevis system is not as good as the older ate system just cheaper to make

· Opeler
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for photos David!
I'll consider those BMW brakes if this plan fails because I already promised to buy those Rekord calipers and should get them tomorrow. Luckily those are not very expensive. Anyway, at the moment I'd like if the brakes would fit into 13" rims and I've been told that these Rekord brakes should do it.
Vented Rekord E brakes should be bolt-on at least to Kadett C, Manta/Ascona B and apparently also A. One GT owner (I don't remember who or where...) once told he had to remove a bit material from some part and install calipers somehow differently than in Rekord but that's all I know. No idea what the pedal effort was like or had he done anything to the master cylinder.
All info about Kadett B/GT and these brakes is still welcome! Also comments about sliding/fixed calipers... I've had problems with my Civic's 1-piston calipers, but that was only because the cylinders were in rust, not the slides. :)

583 Posts
Vented Opel brakes

Lasse,

The brakes that you see in the photo are from a 1975 Opel Manta A. The caliper is an ATE with an expansion kit in it from Risse Motorsport and is using the Rekord D/Carleton 2.2i 246mm vented rotor. It is a direct bolt-on application for a 5.5J x 13" wheel with 6mm spacer.

Good luck with that brake setup that you've got working there. This one is an option if the other doesn't suit your needs.

Cheers,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.