Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arguably the toughest challenge I've had in a while was trying to fit vented front brakes into stock multi-hole Opel steel wheels. They are so damn restrictive that even standard 1975 Opel brakes do not fit within these wheels. This was my solution.....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the bracketry welded in place. The calipers are Wilwood Dynalite's with four 1.375" pistons. This is only slightly more piston area than stock Opel 2-piston calipers, so it works well with the stock master cylinder. If larger pistons were used, the pedal effort would be easier, but it would have excessive travel.

Attachments

·
149 Posts
Bob,
Awesome work as usual, I stand amazed at what you are able to come up with!
Two quick questions:

1) what was the source of the vented disks?

2) The hub looks like it has been beaten fairly well. Is there a story behind it?

Darrin

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rotors are standard 4-cylinder Vauxhaul Carlton/Opel Omega rotors. They bolt right to the stock hubs. Although in this instance, I have spaced the rotors with a custom 1/4" spacers in order to gain additional clearance. They are the same diameter as 1975 brakes (246 mm). I can't recall the thickness, but I think they're 25 mm.

The hubs are just old hubs....typical New England rust/corrosion actually.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Vented discs for 13" wheels

Beautiful work Bob. This ties right in to my Manta brakes thread from the other night.

The 246mm discs I have are 21mm thick.

How much do you figure it cost you in parts to do that? (realizing that you did alot of fabrication yourself..)

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hiergehts said:
How much do you figure it cost you in parts to do that? (realizing that you did alot of fabrication yourself..)
I didn't buy the rotors...I have no idea what they cost. The rotor/hub spacers were about $55 each, the calipers $120 each, brake pads about $55, caliper brackets $11 each, hardware another $16. Brake lines and fittings cost $52.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts