Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay you Opel old-timers, I need to jog some memories.

I just received a ventilated brake kit that I won on e-bay. The seller bought it from MantaParts in the late 80's and never used it. It includes ventilated discs already mounted to Opel hubs and VW single piston calipers. The discs have very funny looking small ventilation holes. The pads are not square, but are almost twice the size of the stock GT pad.

Anyone remember this kit and what VW the calipers came off of so I can order high performance pads? I wrote MantaPart a week or two ago, but they never answered.

Thanks,
James

· Super Moderator
15,257 Posts
Alternatively, you could trace the current pad shape onto a sheet of paper, and fax it to Porterfield. They were able to ID some Vauxhaul Carlton pads this way for me in two minutes, and made me a new set in one day.

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
if there VW and have 100 by 4 holes they will be from a golf/rabbit 1.8 and above with ATE calipers (2 bolts /sliders ) to fix to new mounting bracket

648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no adapter plates. The rotors are already attached to a set of Opel hubs. I do not know if the hubs were machined down yet, until I take measurements of the stock ones. The calipers are marked VWII. The pads are marked Girling. The inside and outside pad are different shapes.

Travis, I found them on the 2nd page you sent. It says VW! I just wanted to pin down the exact car and year. Probably an early 80's Rabbit.

Bob, you are reading my mind with Porterfield. That's where I planned to get them anyway. I was real happy with the pads and shoes they made for my stock brakes.

Now, is anyone interested in buying the Volvo 4 piston brakes I got from that guy in Miami that was on e-bay last year? They would make axtremely nice large set of brakes, but fabricating the lines is required.
http://www.opeltuners.com/gtbrakes/index.html

James

243 Posts
Volvo 4 piston brake lines

N61WP said:
Now, is anyone interested in buying the Volvo 4 piston brakes I got from that guy in Miami that was on e-bay last year? They would make axtremely nice large set of brakes, but fabricating the lines is required.
http://www.opeltuners.com/gtbrakes/index.html

James
I wanted to throw in another link here...http://www.tati-motorsport.nl/public_html/index.php/OpelAsconaB/17

You will see a brake line mod.

There is a little drop down box on that page to translate to english.

648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got back to work on the Manta Part VW brake conversion. The VW calipers are only a single piston as compared to the Opel's 2, or the Volvo's 4. The pads are nearly twice the size of the Opel's, and the rotors are thicker and ventilated. I had Porterfield make me some of their R4-S carbon-kevlar pads. I just bleed them tonight, so I haven't tried them out yet. Best I can tell, they were from 1980's Rabbit(Golf). I still have no idea what the rotors came off of.
James

Attachments

648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got a brake in our monsoon season today...so I took GT out to try new brakes and bed the pads. Yes, they do seem to stop better then the originals, but they are still not nearly as good as I want, so I'm proceeding with stage 2. I will be installing a Wilwood master cylinder with an after- market booster. I drilled and matched the new booster's bolt pattern to that of the GT's flange. I have everything I need except for a few metric to US brake line fittings for hooking up the M/C. It's amazing how the smallest
things hold a project up.

I'll take pictures once I get started.
James

· Opeler
78 Posts
Volvo brakes

Hello, i am interested in doing the Volvo brakes conversion, basically because it looks fairly easy but mostly because its inexpensive (there are volvo 240's galore at my pick ur parts). Can somenone help me with what i will need to do. i am doing a 2.4 conversion and i think i'll need the extra stopping power.
Thanks
Mauri

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.