Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my situation.

I recently rebuilt the entire front end of my 72 GT, including the steering rack.

I replaced the sintered bushing in the rack, cleaned it up real good and re-greased it.

Now that everything is back together in the car and torqued to specs, the steering is REALLY HARD to turn...very notchy. It's almost like I can feel every tooth in the rack when I turn the wheel. I thought that maybe it needed to break in a bit. So I drove the car around the neighborhood and even at speed it is very difficult to turn.

What should I look at? Is there maybe a way to release the tension in the rack?

I am perplexed!

-Mike-

·
Opel Key Master
5,091 Posts
Loosen the pressure on the jamb nut. This is the aluminum threaded part that has the spring under it to apply pressure to the rack. There is also a shim on the inside of the pinion lower bushing that might have not been put back in, not sure that would cause it or not as much as too much pressure

·
Registered
638 Posts
what Keith said. I have learned to tighten or loosen this adjustment that is visible from under the car to change the amount of effort needed to turn the steering with out feeling it rattle internal over bumps. Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the quick feedback!

I'll try adjusting the jamb nut tomorrow and report.

--Mike--

·
Opeler
890 Posts
I had a similar condition after my recent rebuild but not quite so bad. The rack adjustment is probably the answer.

I have a question: The FSM says to tighten until you feel resistance than back off 1/8-1/4 turn. Resitance when tighting by hand or with a wrench?

·
Super Moderator
8,172 Posts
I have a question: The FSM says to tighten until you feel resistance than back off 1/8-1/4 turn. Resitance when tighting by hand or with a wrench?
I tried adjusting mine years ago with a wrench and quickly learned a little goes a looong way. I drove into the parking lot at school and quickly realized I had gone too far. When I turned the steering wheel, it stayed there until it was physically turned again.

Harold

·
Opel Key Master
5,091 Posts
I would assume it is resistance felt by hand, but not at the nut, but at the pinion. As you are tightening the pressure bolt, you can rotate the pinion by the joint and feel the tension.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the advice!

I backed out the tensioning screw 1/4 turn and that fixed the problem. We are now footloose and fancy free!

I've been driving the car this weekend as the weather has been absolutely gorgeous!

Happy Opeling!!!!

Reactions: Frozen Tundra GT
1 - 11 of 11 Posts