Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my opel is behaving oddly. Sometimes when I shift it vibrates when letting out the clutch. Its not all the time, but it is becoming more frequent. Do I need to look into replacing the clutch? I was planning on doing an upgrade to the s-10 clutch with a getrag 5 speed later on, but if the clutch is going out might as well do the converison now. I am kind of strapped for cash and would like to put it off for atleast another month. What else could this problem be? My tranny and engine mounts looked okay. Its also leaking oil at the clutch, so I can't really put it off for to long. Any advice or experiance with a similar problem?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the problem has dissapeared as quickly as it came....now thats just odd. I did notice an oil leak right at the bottem of the bellhouse, so maybe the clutch simply had oil on it? Well, I still think I'm going to put in a new clutch just to be on the safeside. Has anyone heard of this before (problem coming and going)?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
out of oil?

While I have been pretty fortunate in that I've never had to fix a leaky rear main seal on an Opel, I have had to fix leaky front seals and gaskets on the transmission on several occassions. Since there isn't a lot of oil in the Opel transmission, it would actually be possible for it to have all leaked out through the front of the trans into the clutch housing.

For piece of mind I recommend bending a coat hanger into an "L" and using it as a dip-stick to check the level in the transmission, or just trying to fill it up. If there is a leak, though, you may not want to add to the mess.

Luckily the seals are pretty easy to swap, and the gaskets are still around, so it isn't too big a deal.

I wonder if I could still swap a 4-speed on a Kadett in less than 20 min? I haven't tried in a long time....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.