Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Update* *1-20-19* Part 2 added!

Here is my latest Opel GT how to video! It's a how-to on removing the instrument panel. I will be added more parts to this, but video length and editing time mean I've only got the panel removal part posted so far. The next part will be Dash removal with window still installed, and probably heater service. There may be a 3rd part with some cluster repair tips and tricks and some reinstallation tips. I did not do much filming on the reinstalling phase though.

Here's the video! I hope it helps some people out.

Here is a link to a written how-to on this same subject.
http://clubs.hemmings.com/oana/tech/DashRemoval.pdf

Also heres a link to the official service manual where you can find anything you need to fix!
https://www.opelgt.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1

·
Senior Contributor
1,515 Posts
Nice Job on the Video,, as you can tell pulling the dash from a GT can be a problem.. pulling will evenly crack the middle of the abs plastic from behind and break off delicate gauge Tab mount posts,,

My Tip,, Grind off all the extra tabs on Gauge Tabs (Ears) that stick up ( dremel tool ). those Tabs made of steel are what prevents the dash from coming loose.. on top, then check where the marks are inside the dash enclosure and grind some off there too.. No sense fighting with a piece of 50 year old dry black ABS Plastic Dash Board / something going to break or crack, I made mine easier to come out next time :yup:... JMHO

Attachments

Reactions: Knorm65

·
Can Opeler
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice Job on the Video,, as you can tell pulling the dash from a GT can be a problem.. pulling will evenly crack the middle of the abs plastic from behind and break off delicate gauge Tab mount posts,,

My Tip,, Grind off all the extra tabs on Gauge Tabs that stick up ( dremel tool ). those Tabs made of steel are what prevents the dash from coming loose.. on top, then check where the marks are inside the dash enclosure and grind some off there too.. No sense fighting with a piece of 50 year old dry black ABS Plastic Dash Board / something going to break or crack, I made mine easier to come out next time :yup:... JMHO
That’s an excellent tip. I filed down the ears on the temp gauge mount when reinstalling. It’s crazy how tight everything is in there.

·
Can Opeler
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is Part 2!

Description:

In this episode of Opel GT How To, I walk you through the process of removing the dash pad in my 1970 Opel GT.

Removal Checklist:
1. Remove 4 screws on top of dash near windshield
2. Remove 6 screws (3 each side) on dash near doors
3. Remove 2 screws on the very bottom of the dash beneath the heater plate
4. Remove 3 screws on heater control plate
5. Remove Hood release cable in engine bay and pull through firewall
6. Remove 2 fresh air vent grilles
7. Carefully pull out the dash!

This is a multipart series, part 1 featured removal of the instrument cluster, later parts will feature heater service and reinstallation.

·
Opel Addicts
2,462 Posts
Very Nice

I wish we would have had this type of video when I was first starting in Opeldom.

Great job!

Allen & Vickie Gage

Reactions: Knorm65

·
Opeler
1,407 Posts
Here is Part 2!

Description:

In this episode of Opel GT How To, I walk you through the process of removing the dash pad in my 1970 Opel GT.
Nice job on the video, Kyler!
I last removed my dash in the late '80's and so it is all just sort of a distant bad dream for me now. However, I used this flex shaft screwdriver to remove the screws near the windshield. It is a Kent-Davis #130 and I don't know if they still make them or not. The tip is removable and has various flat, Phillips and Allen head tips with it.

Attachments

·
Can Opeler
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Part 3 Is Here!

Here is Part 3 of the dash removal series. This part focuses on the Heater system. This one is not my best video. The filming is pretty bad, but I decided to post it anyway. a bad incomplete video is still better than no video!

Here is the index from the video description
00:50 - Heater Control Panel
02:00 - Heater Cable Removal
03:06 - Removal of Heater Hoses
06:23 - Unbolting Heater
08:00 - Pulling Heater Out
09:15 - A note on how it's wired
11:00 - Pulling Heater Continued
11:35 - Pre-inspection of heater
12:00 - Heater Disassembly (splitting the case)
14:00 - Carnage from Mice!!!
14:30 - Heater Core
15:00 - How the heater fan works (bench test)
17:00 - Boiling Heater Core
17:45 - Inspection of main heater bypass valve
18:45 - Inspecton of motor
19:45 - Cleaned up Heater! Start of Reassembly
22:22 - Dome Light Switch Wire
23:25 - Analysis of Heater Operation and Cable Adjustment
27:15 - Reinstalling Heater
29:00 - Installing Dash and Tips!
34:25 - Reinstalling Top Screws on Dash
36:42 - Cluster is Magically Installed (Tips)
38:20 - Function Test

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
*Update* *1-20-19* Part 2 added!

Here is my latest Opel GT how to video! It's a how-to on removing the instrument panel. I will be added more parts to this, but video length and editing time mean I've only got the panel removal part posted so far. The next part will be Dash removal with window still installed, and probably heater service. There may be a 3rd part with some cluster repair tips and tricks and some reinstallation tips. I did not do much filming on the reinstalling phase though.

Here's the video! I hope it helps some people out.

Here is a link to a written how-to on this same subject.
http://clubs.hemmings.com/oana/tech/DashRemoval.pdf

Also heres a link to the official service manual where you can find anything you need to fix!
https://www.opelgt.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1
Kyler: great information. I have taken the dash out several times and alway had something go wrong. If I ever have to take it out again, I am going to watch your video again.

Bob

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It is really nice of you, Kyler, and others to take the time to make these videos.

Administrators, it might be helpful to add a How-To video section to the site all videos like this could linked to in one place. It's nice having them in their respective FSM sections but sometimes just going to one place for visual help seems useful. With smartphones so prevalent it is easy to do. Maybe having a How-To video section will encourage more of this type of generous assistance to be produced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts