Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what have people used in the past to clean a coroded vin plate on ur GT mine has a small layer of corrosion and i was wondering what is the best solution to clean it off. i will be removing the plate to paint in that area so it will be off for several day's, any help or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
I have used Marine Clean to remove slight oxidation from aluminum (this is the cleaner used to clean parts before painting with POR-15). I use a 3:1 water/cleaner mixture, using very hot water. Place the affected part in the solution for about 20-30 minutes. Use a soft bristle brush (old toothbrush), and scrub it clean. Do NOT leave it overnight in the solution, as it will begin to dissolve it! I also use this cleaner to wash carburetors that have oxidized, it makes them like new again. I recommend wearing rubber gloves, the cleaner is a strong alkaline, and will strip the natural oils from your skin.

Bob

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have the dutch problem solved i have a website that will translate it all too english and i also know several people who can decipher for me thanks for the site...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hey now- don't be selfish- I am looking at replacing my vin # too. So if you could share your info with the rest of us, it would be appreciated.
BTW- I Emailed them sasking if the site or cataloge was available in English- I'll let you know what they say.:)

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that was the site i was talking about but sometimes it will not translate certain words and thats were u need a person, i noticed they show it on the front page and they mention the price but there is no were to order it that i could find on the site, also how do u imprint ur old numbers onto the new plate..........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts