Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what have people used in the past to clean a coroded vin plate on ur GT mine has a small layer of corrosion and i was wondering what is the best solution to clean it off. i will be removing the plate to paint in that area so it will be off for several day's, any help or ideas would be appreciated.

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
You could always order a new VIN plate from Germany, they're available throught Buchta Motorsport.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
I have used Marine Clean to remove slight oxidation from aluminum (this is the cleaner used to clean parts before painting with POR-15). I use a 3:1 water/cleaner mixture, using very hot water. Place the affected part in the solution for about 20-30 minutes. Use a soft bristle brush (old toothbrush), and scrub it clean. Do NOT leave it overnight in the solution, as it will begin to dissolve it! I also use this cleaner to wash carburetors that have oxidized, it makes them like new again. I recommend wearing rubber gloves, the cleaner is a strong alkaline, and will strip the natural oils from your skin.

Bob

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is the website for Buchta Motorsport and do u have an idea on price or such and if it looks almost like original???

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have the dutch problem solved i have a website that will translate it all too english and i also know several people who can decipher for me thanks for the site...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hey now- don't be selfish- I am looking at replacing my vin # too. So if you could share your info with the rest of us, it would be appreciated.
BTW- I Emailed them sasking if the site or cataloge was available in English- I'll let you know what they say.:)

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Try this website to translate words, sentences, or even the web pages;

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

I did notice on the long parts list, the translation of the web page ends before the bottom. You would need to break this up to translate all.

Works for other languages also.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that was the site i was talking about but sometimes it will not translate certain words and thats were u need a person, i noticed they show it on the front page and they mention the price but there is no were to order it that i could find on the site, also how do u imprint ur old numbers onto the new plate..........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts