Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently have been experimenting with dying some of the vinyl interior parts that had really faded or just worn over time, not that there is much original vinyl left in this 70 GT. I actually started with my leather steering wheel and have put several coats on it and the results over time have been really good. Not that it was faded or worn but the color just started coming off with blue showing through?? Not sure why as I recall spending a fair amount on a cover that I had to hand stitch on and was really disappointed when it began to discolor, anyway. So the other day, I had both seats out of the car and noticed how faded the backs of the seats were. Well, when I had the seats recovered, in the late 90's, I asked the guy not to replace the back panel with the zippers, not sure why I specified that, but anyway I just recently used that leather dye on the back of the seats and the results were excellent. Today I noticed how worn or faded the door handles/pulls were and decided to try the leather dye on them and again the results were excellent. First picture is the top of the back of the seat dyed, not dry yet or excess wiped off and the second picture is the whole seat after completely dried and excess wiped off. The product is Fiebing's low VOC Leather dye - Black. I purchased it at Hobby Lobby and see that it is available on Amazon for $7.10. The only question is how is it going to hold up on vinyl - has done really well on the steering wheel and has not come off in my hands. I recently rubbed the back of the seats with a white cloth and the color did not come off. Also purchased wool daubers to apply the dye and noticed that with the vinyl that you have to smear it back and forth over and over to get a good application on vinyl as compared to leather where it just soaks in.
Just wanted to pass this along in the event someone else had a similar need.
PS....It works well on old worn and faded seat belts too.....Just don't soak it in too much...

The Door pull before:

The door pull after:

I went back and wiped off the excess that you can see in the grooves - looks almost like new

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul, the dye worked really well hope someone else can use the idea.

The wheels were purchased in or around 1978 -1980. I believe they are American Racing brand but not 100% sure - I just googled it and found what I think is the same wheel on eBay but 5 lugs and 15 inch by 7 - they call it a vintage wire mag wheel. I remember removing the decal on the center cap and recall it was an American flag - love our flag but it added nothing to the look of the wheel. By the way I spend 50 hours back in the covid winter sanding and polishing those wheels to the tune of around 50 hours - the spokes actually look better than whey did new as it was not a smooth finish as it is now.The picture below is from that ad on Ebay. Carl

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I think the first time I saw the wheels I knew they were the ones I wanted. Kind of funny when I put those on the GT it was some what unusual to see mag wheels on a car but today every car on the road had them even mini vans.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts