Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate doing this, but I've been hit 4-5 times already this morning by a virus, Norton stopped it in its' tracks, thank you. The new virus comes to your e-mail with a returned message or similar subject line. I saw it discussed on the local news last nite and they reported that after opening the message, it will send out 300 + messages in a few seconds. That would really slow down the web considerably. Just a warning.

Ron

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Again not on any Opel subject, but concerning this virus, go into your address book and add a new contact called [email protected], The virus will try to start at the top of your address book and work its way down through your contacts. Since there is no one named [email protected], it stops with you. HTH Jarrell

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have read recently that creating the "fake" email address doesn't stop the virus at all. The virus does a mass mailing to all addresses in your address book. The "fake" address bounces back to you as "undeliverable", a clue to you that the virus is on your computer. Meanwhile the "real" people in your address book are receiving the virus. The best method to stopping the virus is to make sure your anti-virus program is up to date and scanning all incoming emails.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
You could very well be correct Jeff. I run 2 firewalls on our computers. One a hardwall, the other, software and McAfee's virus scan, plus 2 or 3 other spyware programs. paranoia, I guess. Jarrell

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
for those opelers who dont have anti virus (BAD OPELERS)
here is a link to a good FREE prog
http://www.avast.com/i_kat_67.html

download avast home edition 4 then when you have instaled go to reg and when you reg you will be emailed a number to put in then you have free updates for 4 years and when it runs out just remove and re install for the next 4 years

go on do it today YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO:D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other thing about this virus, it will go to a back door and allow the hacker to input commands to your computer. For us and our personnal PCs, a way to access our identity if personal data is in the system. For corporations, corporate theft is possible. A bad situation all the way around.

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts