Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an issue with their GT burning up regulators as soon as the car starts, with the alternator not being the problem? If so, what ended up being the culprit?

I’m going through regulators faster than an Emilio Estevez movie, and it’s getting expensive! So far I’m out $330 over the course of four months because of this issue, and I’m still at square one.

To answer some questions before they’re asked, the alt has 12,000 miles on it, I had it tested both in and out of the car, and even though it tested good both times, I had it rebuilt anyway to try to resolve this. After it was rewound, I put it back in the car with the fourth brand new VR, started the car, and the VR smoked instantly. The ground wire from the alt to the block is in great condition and connected solidly, as is the ground braid from the block to the frame.

The battery is also brand new.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Has anyone had an issue with their GT burning up regulators as soon as the car starts, with the alternator not being the problem? If so, what ended up being the culprit?

I’m going through regulators faster than an Emilio Estevez movie, and it’s getting expensive! So far I’m out $330 over the course of four months because of this issue, and I’m still at square one.

To answer some questions before they’re asked, the alt has 12,000 miles on it, I had it tested both in and out of the car, and even though it tested good both times, I had it rebuilt anyway to try to resolve this. After it was rewound, I put it back in the car with the fourth brand new VR, started the car, and the VR smoked instantly. The ground wire from the alt to the block is in great condition and connected solidly, as is the ground braid from the block to the frame.

The battery is also brand new.

Thanks for your time.
It’s a start to your thread anyway. HTH

4522024E-6DBC-4238-B7EF-3931658B0186.jpeg

·
Vendor
2,911 Posts
Did you replace the battery recently? I recall having this problem in another car *non-Opel) and it turned out being a bad battery.

·
Senior Contributor
1,642 Posts
Are you using a solid state Voltage Regulator? What type? Check the Battery Voltage. Charging Voltage is 13.7 Volts
Try starting it up without the belt on the pulley ,Or red Hot wire off terminal for a test next time, check for shorts and grounds without charging , testing only purpose FWIW

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you using a solid state Voltage Regulator?
I’m pretty sure it’s solid state.

What type?
It’s a Standard Motor Products VR124 that I buy on Amazon. That’s what Gil told me to use.

Check the Battery Voltage. Charging Voltage is 13.7 Volts
Do I check the battery voltage with or without the regulator connected? The battery is definitely not charging because the regulator is bad. If I test it with a regulator connected, the regulator will burn up before I can even get a voltage reading as soon as I start the engine. That’s the whole problem.

Try starting it up without the belt on the pulley ,Or red Hot wire off terminal for a test next time, check for shorts and grounds without charging , testing only purpose FWIW
I have no idea where to test for shorts and grounds, that’s why I was hoping someone had seen this problem before. I’m a former electronics technician and Army radio repairer, so I can handle a multimeter, but I’m still in the early stages of learning how to troubleshoot automotive electrical issues.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you replace the battery recently? I recall having this problem in another car *non-Opel) and it turned out being a bad battery.
I replaced it in late January, a couple of months after the first regulator went out. I was having a lot of issues with the turn signals and parking lights, not knowing that the battery hadn’t been charging. I put my trickle charger on it overnight, but discovered that it wasn’t holding a charge. It was 2.5 years old at that point and 3 years is the maximum lifespan for a car battery in Las Vegas. I took it to AutoZone where I bought it, and since it was a 5-year battery, I got a replacement. The next three regulators went out with the new battery, which has about two miles on it so far.

·
Senior Contributor
1,642 Posts
Any Photo's how you have it Up. sometimes a Photo can help us,, all the terminals in the plug connectors are making contact, No green Terminal connection, battery fully charged 13 volts with engine off ,,, when you try starting motor? Are you Jump starting engine? Sound like a wiring issue, maybe are you sure you have the wires on the Alternator correctly? Alternator Grounded properly,

·
Detritus Maximus
2,787 Posts
Replied in the other thread....
Are you sure the alternator to regulator wiring is correct?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you using a solid state Voltage Regulator? What type? Check the Battery Voltage. Charging Voltage is 13.7 Volts
I’m pretty sure it’s solid state. It’s a Standard Motor Products
Replied in the other thread....
Are you sure the alternator to regulator wiring is correct?
Yes. I sent photos of it to Gil and a diagram. There’s a 3-terminal connector that plugs into the alternator, and the wires terminate at a connector at the other end, which plugs into a connector on the regulator. I haven’t changed any of the connector wiring. I’ll post the photos.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check the wires in the harness that plugs into the back of the alternator. I had one terminal come loose on mine and it more or less pegged the ammeter. I’m pretty sure that’s what smoked my first alternator as well.
Yep, I’ve checked them multiple times.
Any Photo's how you have it Up. sometimes a Photo can help us,, all the terminals in the plug connectors are making contact, No green Terminal connection, battery fully charged 13 volts with engine off ,,, when you try starting motor? Are you Jump starting engine? Sound like a wiring issue, maybe are you sure you have the wires on the Alternator correctly? Alternator Grounded properly,
I’m not jump starting it. I can start it 8-10 times before the battery dies. I hook up the wall charger once in a while to fully charge it.

·
Senior Contributor
1,642 Posts
Not sure,,, this is a long shot,,, but maybe someone else can chime in...If the wiring is correct. The Alt. Meter in our cars is wired in Series, Not Parallel, Have you noticed anything Going wrong with the meter inside the Car? did that smoke too... Over amps can short that meter out. Just saying...

·
Detritus Maximus
2,787 Posts
The reason I asked about the harness was I had a GT that had a couple wires mixed up by the previous owner and it was frying batteries.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The reason I asked about the harness was I had a GT that had a couple wires mixed up by the previous owner and it was frying batteries.
Yeah, I gotcha. I’m very meticulous about diagraming and/or photographing wiring before I start disconnecting anything because I don’t know enough about it to know what connects to what.

One thing I realized last night though, my wiring is different from the schematic. I don’t have a wire from the ignition coil to the starter, and I have two wires going from the ignition coil to the distributor. I wonder if that’s significant.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts