Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Opeler
3,151 Posts
On my older GTs', would check Dwell reading at a higher RPM (2K to 3K RPM).
At idle, distributor showed variable dwell due to distributor wear.

Often thought of sending an older distributor to Cardone for remanufacturing.
Purchaed Cardone distributor decades ago at a low closeout price.
An Owner here purchased one and said advance mechanism was completely different than OEM.
He had problems alterating advance curve.

CARDONE 31957 {#231167024} Remanufactured - Service Only.
You send your part to be rebuilt and returned to you.
We'll email shipping instructions after you submit your order. Point Type. $160.79

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
Does the distributor shaft wiggle?
Are the lobes worn?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Does the distributor shaft wiggle?
Are the lobes worn?
The distributer is slightly worn and the dwell varies with engine speed. It has been a long time since I had to deal with points and can't see that well. I was not able to get the dwell right so I decided that a good igniter system just might be the ticket. When I serviced the distributer I was thinking points were a fun option for old times sake, lol. Screw that!

·
Super Moderator
6,068 Posts
The distributer is slightly worn and the dwell varies with engine speed. It has been a long time since I had to deal with points and can't see that well. I was not able to get the dwell right so I decided that a good igniter system just might be the ticket. When I serviced the distributer I was thinking points were a fun option for old times sake, lol. Screw that!
Did you check your timing advance as I suggested?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys! I am finishing up my restoration of a 72 GT. Engine rebuilt, new everything. Sadly it is running poorly. It acts like it has weak spark. Runs fine until I give it heavy throttle. I am only getting 11.5 v at the + coil terminal(batt voltage 13v). Is this normal? I know it is fed by a resistor wire from the fuse block but this seems a little weak. All ignition components are new and has a new weber. I did find a bad float needle valve but it has been replaced. Any suggestions?
How "new" is the Weber, if it has a bad needle? I would first remove the accelerator pump diaphragm to check it for pinhole leaks or tears. This is quick and easy. Next, I would pull the power valve in the carb to inspect that diaphragm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
How "new" is the Weber, if it has a bad needle? I would first remove the accelerator pump diaphragm to check it for pinhole leaks or tears. This is quick and easy. Next, I would pull the power valve in the carb to inspect that diaphragm.
The carb is basically fresh out of the box. It has maybe 15 min running time on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
OK guys. I installed an electronic ignition and the dwell stays at a flat 50. Perfect. I reset the float to 35 mm and she is running better than ever. Still misses slightly when changing gears and accelerating but is running about 90%. I believe I will play with the float level a bit more and re-adjust the idle mixture screw. Almost home, thanks for all the input guys!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts