Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating replacing my non-working clock in my GT with a voltmeter/oil temp gauge from Opel GT Source or a vacuum gauge, if I can find one that fits. The voltmeter/oil temp gauge from OGTS looks very nice. My question is, where do you hook the sending unit for the oil temp gauge and the Volt gauge? I have my dash out and it's a good time to do this!

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Roy;
The oil temp can either replacing the drain plug with VDO's plug/sensor at eguages.com, or you can pull your pan off, weld a bung on and screw in a VDO temp sensor. They used to, long ago, have a dipstick sensor, but, I have not seen one listed in a looong time. The volt meter attaches to anywhere you can get 12v, when the key is on.

·
Super Moderator
6,030 Posts
Another....nicer member helped me so I don't need your help, as helpful as it was.
And I thought Canadians were nice, guess not. Anyways the only plug I found down there was the one with a spring on the end of it.
Umm, we ARE nice! I provided you the link to the answer you needed, that Lindsay had provided one post before. Not sure what you didn't see, or why you responded the way you did.

Ah, now I see. The "wiping your bottom" comment shown in the link was made in the top post by "pherrley" aka Patrick Herrley when responding to GeorgeOpel. Definitely not appropriate for this site, and Patrick kinda' disappeared from here back in 2016.

So to be clear, that comment in the link was NOT made by me (or Lindsay) and I will now delete it.

Reactions: 99449

·
Registered
4 Posts
Umm, we ARE nice! I provided you the link to the answer you needed, that Lindsay had provided one post before. Not sure what you didn't see, or why you responded the way you did.

Ah, now I see. The "wiping your bottom" comment shown in the link was made in the top post by "pherrley" aka Patrick Herrley when responding to GeorgeOpel. Definitely not appropriate for this site, and Patrick kinda' disappeared from here back in 2016.

So to be clear, that comment in the link was NOT made by me (or Lindsay) and I will now delete it.

Ok, I was wondering, everyone has been really nice so far except that comment.

·
Premium Member
1970 Pearl White GT
121 Posts
For the opelers that have installed the volt/oil temp guage, what is normal for you? My volts show a steady 14ish but the oil temp creaps up to between 120-150*C. (280*F) This seems extremely hot even with an RX7 oil cooler attached. My water temp holds steady @ 180ish. This is just the 30min drive home 65ish mph. Could a weak ground on the gauge throw off my readings? The sensor wire runs straight from sensor to guage with no breaks. I installed the sensor in the removeable plug on the driver side of oil pump as explained above.
  • Castrol gtx 20w50 with a zinc addative
  • cooler & radiators look decently clean.
  • oil only has roughly 500 miles on it
  • oil level just below full mark on dipstick
  • little blow by issue. it does seem better than when i was at Carlisle. (i cleaned the guaze and cleaned the hoses)
I think i will pull the oil lines, drain/clean, and have the cooler checked. Its supposed to have a built in thermostat that should open the valve @ 150*F. Even if it was stuck closed would the oil get that hot?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I don't have that but it sure does seem odd
maybe get one of those cheap laser thermal scanner from H.F ( if you don't already have one ) and check the oil cooler temp to give you an Idea of where it's at.
If it reads much lower then it could be a bad sensor/sending unit. If it's accurate you maybe right and the thermo is stuck and not fully opening or as you say at all
I know couda shouda wouda just trying to help where I can

1 - 18 of 18 Posts