Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i´m planning to install 240 Volvo 4pot calipers in my Kadett C.

The Kadett has only one braking tubing. The Volvo Caliper has 2 circuit points.

to solve this problem i would like to install this:

But i dont know where to buy it.
Can anyone help?

Thx

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Hello,

i´m planning to install 240 Volvo 4pot calipers in my Kadett C.

The Kadett has only one braking tubing. The Volvo Caliper has 2 circuit points.

to solve this problem i would like to install this:

But i dont know where to buy it.
Can anyone help?

Thx
I believe that would be me. I can make up a set for your car if you need it.

As a curious note, I never thought my work towel would get displayed all the way in Germany!

·
Customizer
1 Posts
Volvo 240 caliper manifold adapters...

My name is Breck Meyer and I have been making the Volvo 240 caliper manifold adapters for over 5 years now and I'm also listed on the 311s.org-Datsun Sport Roadsters site for the Datsun Roadsters.

I sell them for $50/set plus shipping outside the U.S. and I have shipped them to the U.K. and Austraila, New Zealand and all over the U.S.

If you are still interested let me know and I accept Paypal for payment and ship within 1-2 days of receipt of monies.

Thank you,

Breck

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I used theese. Its located on the rear axle at least on Ascona B Manta B, splitting the braketubing to each wheel. Its not as fancy but it works.

It might not be as pretty however it is a better functional application which does not create any interference with other mechanical components.

The manifold is a good idea however we found out the hard way it is not as practical as it is made out to be. We used the original manifold and we also re-designed the unit for proper operation on the Opel, both units led to failure due to the added costs and interference issues created. On an MG it works just fine because it does not have anything along the travel axis, might work just as good on a Datsun. On the Opel however it does not work too well, we had one instance that a member of this group broke the adapter right off the manifold while parking his Manta, which led to brake failure amongst other things. Bear in mind that we sell front and rear brake systems kits worldwide for different classic automobiles and we stop selling the original and our unit for Opels last year due to a better alternative.

If you use this manifold as is, you will need to buy all adapter and hoses required for a 4-an setup. If you use ours, you will need to buy all adapters and hoses for a 3-an setup. In any way, you will need the adapter and hoses which can run you an extra $50-80 depending where you buy the items. When you install it on a GT you will find the 4-an adapter/hose assembly hits the bottom of the shock mount and you lose approx 45mm of steering end to end travel to avoid the conflict. On a manta/Ascona, the assembly hits the coil spring and you lose approx. 65mm of steering end to end travel. The 3-an setup is a bit better however you still lose about 25mm across the board on all models.

Since then we found another solution which makes more sense and allows you to use the stock hoses. We examined and compared the same caliper for both ABS and non-ABS applications. The caliper is the same however the ABS unit only has a single inlet and internal passages distribute the fluid evenly on all four ports. We also found this ABS unit is only $10 more per caliper than the non-Abs unit so it is cost effective. The ABS unit eliminates the need for adapters and hoses therefore it mounts just like the stock Opel unit, using the stock hose and resized/reflared metal brake line.

I am not knocking any efforts but as an Opel owner I have come to believe on the principle of "less is more" therefore simplicity would be the best option. So by spending $10 more per caliper, you eliminate adapters, custom hoses and possible interference problems which proves the "Less is more" theory quite well. I also build cars that work for a living, I am allergic to trailer queens so why build a car with a possible built in problem.

The manifold is a well thought out effort however it does not work well on all applications and the bill I got from the Manta owner's attorney, proves it quite well.

·
392 Posts
brakes

Look what I found:

This is from an Austin Mini. Only $20 each and split one brake line into two. They have been in use for 50+ years on Minis without failure. My '67 has one and the brakes are so good I can paste my passenger to the front windshield if they aren't prepared. And on my GT they work just as well. But what do I know? I'm not a brake expert.

Mike

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Look what I found:

This is from an Austin Mini. Only $20 each and split one brake line into two. They have been in use for 50+ years on Minis without failure. My '67 has one and the brakes are so good I can paste my passenger to the front windshield if they aren't prepared. And on my GT they work just as well. But what do I know? I'm not a brake expert.

Mike
The brake line "TEE" are only $6.00 at Brakquip however the one in the picture are BF and you need IF for the GT brake line. The old Minis have an advantage over the GT, they are about half the weight so does not require much to stop. The GT/Manta/Ascona have one too, it comes from factory mounted on your rear end.

On my GT I have individual brake lines for each wheel and a Honda adjustable proportional valve body, which balances the front to back bias. With a 4-wheel 262mm disk setup and a 9" booster, stopping my rubber band powered car is the least of my worries.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.