Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spied an Opel Wagon this week while out on the road. Thinking of adding it to the collection of GTs I have. This is all I could pick up from the VIN through the windshield 399420?15. Anybody know what year this is? Can't find any photos of wagons on the site(except the brown one) . I think it might be a '72 made in Bochum. It is blue in color.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I can send a photo if it helps.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Smile

That chassis # is newer than mine, but still a kadett wagon and not an ascona (or1900) wagon. That would probably make it a late '71 or '72, but parts are all the same back to mid year '67. The big things to check are the front brakes (disc or drum) and the motor, 1100 or 1900. The 1100 and 1900 had different floor humps for a while, and the automatic transmissions another different floor too. This means that if you're planning an engine swap the 1900 automatics have the most room for it, but the 1100 4-speeds ahve the most interior space.
This is what mine looks like for comparison.

Attachments

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks old opie

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Had a little surgery so was out of commission for a few days.

I thought it might be a '72 but wasn't sure. Thanks for the info on the engine stuff. My '69 GT may need a new home in the future. I had a better photo but couldn't find it so here is what I sent.

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
All you need is a Kadett
29 Posts
Certainly a 70 or later Kadett, per the side lights. Early years were lower then these.

Oldopelguy. Love the artifical wood paneling. Orginal? I have seen ads before, but you are the first I know to own. Not sure about the wheels, though.

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
'Wood' siding was definitely an option, I've seen a lot of Kadetts this way from back in my car-stripping days. Wheels are not stock!

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
13 year crusade

The "wood" is origional, but the wheels are most definatly not. It took me 13 years to find a set of those particular wheels for an Opel, and the day I got them was happier than my wedding day.

The next set of wheels I buy will be a set of factory alloy wheels for an '81 Commodore. They are available in Europe and Australia in a 4x100mm bolt pattern, the right ofset, and 15x6.5 size. They are also butt-ugly and have opel center caps. I want a set or 2 of steel rims, too, to run on my other cars.

I also need to figure out how to get the "wood" vinyl off so I can get the car repainted, when I finally get a front-end for it. Any ideas?

·
Detritus Maximus
3,114 Posts
Maybe try a heat gun or a halogen work light (not too close!) to soften the adhesive or the vinyl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts