Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,716 Posts
You don't have to specifically look for a 4 spd. Automatics can be converted. I converted my 75 Sportwagon from auto to 4 spd then upgraded to 5 spd

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,217 Posts
And you don't have to specifically look for a signal blue one. You can paint them any color you want.

Dieter

Reactions: rrossjr

·
Detritus Maximus
2,584 Posts
Looks like it used to have black on the hood...maybe a Rallye? If a stick and a Rallye, then 3.67 rear end? Or a 75 fuel injected car?

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,148 Posts
It has the correct side stripe, wheels, and the small placard under the name 'Manta' on the fender for the Rallye. So ought to be the 3.67 rear axle. I cannot tell the year, besides 'late'...

·
Super Moderator
13,696 Posts
It has the correct side stripe, wheels, and the small placard under the name 'Manta' on the fender for the Rallye. So ought to be the 3.67 rear axle. I cannot tell the year, besides 'late'...
No Rallye model was offered in 1975, so gotta be a ‘74.

Wheels are early rallye however, a ‘74 should have 4-spokes.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,148 Posts
You got me curious, Bob..... Per the parts manual, the '73-'74 Rallye (model 57R) could get either the the 4 spokes, or the silver wheels like pictured which are listed as applicable to '71-'74 57R models. So maybe the 4 spoke was an option....???

And you probably know this but others may not....there are 3 different PN's for the 4 spokes. Some of the early 4-spokes won't quite clear the front calipers on the big brake models.

BTW, I see that the Old Bay State passed a law outlawing sales of new gas powered cars after a certain year in the future. You got out of there just in time...

·
Detritus Maximus
2,584 Posts
BTW, I see that the Old Bay State passed a law outlawing sales of new gas powered cars after a certain year in the future. You got out of there just in time...
Speaking as a tree hugger, that is going too far.

·
Super Moderator
13,696 Posts
Yup, I was reading that recently, they are one of three states now who have passed this legislation...California, New Jersey, and Massachusetts.

If Mass does it, then typically two other northeast states will be ‘monkey-see, monkey-do’...by this I mean Connecticut (my old state) and Vermont.

New Hampshire (my current state) and Maine tend to be more independent, so hopefully it doesn’t happen here. If it does, then I’ll just continue to run older cars. I’m not a huge fan of electric.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,148 Posts
The MA law as I understand it, is written to not prevent 'importation' of a used gas powered car into MA. So I supect what people in MA are going to do is to buy a car that has been title transferred to another person or entity in another state and has maybe 100 miles on it. LOL So this is really just sop to some group, and the outside-of-the-state transfer agents will charge a few thousand $$ extra to MA customers. Then there will be a new 'outrage' over that....

NH? Yes I can see them not doing this. ME? IDK.. they have just recently commited to some lilkley unreachable goal of renewable electric power generation. (They have whipped the electric companies for decades there in ME, and are reaping the rewards of less reliable electric service as a result.)

Oh well.. this is a far cry from the far more important matter of Blue Manta's! Sorry, OP...

·
Luxus
2 Posts
It's a 74 Rallye

I've tried several times to reach owner. There's a trailer near the cars that says Johnson Autosport. Googled it and came up with a Facebook page: Johnson Autosport
Reached out via facebook and haven't gotten a reply. Looks like owner use to race Opel's. His shop doesn't look to be active operating business anymore - his shop is roughly 30 minutes from my house. I only drive that direction a couple times a year but always look forward to seeing the Manta's. I've stopped by the shop now on several occasions...but still no luck meeting owner or getting any current contact info. Sure hope to meet him someday to share Opel stories. Wouldn't mind finding out if he's for hire....would love to take my Ascona to his shop ( fingers crossed ) for some fine tuning.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, did you happen to catch if it’s a 4-speed car and do you have any other pictures?
Appreciate the help.

It's a 74 Rallye

I've tried several times to reach owner. There's a trailer near the cars that says Johnson Autosport. Googled it and came up with a Facebook page: Johnson Autosport
Reached out via facebook and haven't gotten a reply. Looks like owner use to race Opel's. His shop doesn't look to be active operating business anymore - his shop is roughly 30 minutes from my house. I only drive that direction a couple times a year but always look forward to seeing the Manta's. I've stopped by the shop now on several occasions...but still no luck meeting owner or getting any current contact info. Sure hope to meet him someday to share Opel stories. Wouldn't mind finding out if he's for hire....would love to take my Ascona to his shop ( fingers crossed ) for some fine tuning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts